Knotting solution V Stain block

Got some softwood with lots of knots which is going to be painted.

Knotting solution is expensive, but I have some Stain Block paint.

Anyone tried that on resinous knots? Would it work?

Reply to
David Lang

What I have done in the past on a white emulsioned ceiling (water stains/damage) is give a couple of coats of white gloss and then emulsioned and it appeared to work ok. So maybe a couple of coats of gloss on the knots before the undercoat may work. I used because thats all I had at hand.

Reply to
ss

I've paid more for a paint brush

Cheapskate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It helps if you burn the resin off by judicious application of a blowlamp.

Reply to
harry

That might work - at least leaving some room for it. A lot of modern timber knots are absolutely soaking in fresh resin and will ooze the stuff through a paint surface no matter how much knotting compound you put on.

Reply to
Martin Brown

No, they dont. That's what knotting is for.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Knotting solution is essentially shellac. You may find this cheaper. I dunno

Reply to
fred

No you haven't.

Cheap until you look at the delivery charge. Nearly £10 for 125ml.

I have no other use for knotting.

Reply to
David Lang

Buy some from the BM then

Its just alcohol and shellac mainly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oil based undercoat is just as good as stain block on ceilings - and is probably similar stuff.

But oil based paint on its own won't hide knots in wood. So I doubt that stain block would either.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I just use a hot air gun and boil as much of the resin out first.

It's only (normally) a problem on external south-facing timber.

Isn't knotting solution just shellac ?, in which case you can buy the powder and make up your own.

Reply to
Andrew

Is that still true with water-based paints post-VOC2010 though ?.

Reply to
Andrew