Knocking through a wall and re-wiring

Hi,

I am converting a fair sized kichen and small dining room into one big open kitchen/diner and need to take out a wall in between the 2 rooms. The wall in question is 2.6m wide, and has an arch/walkway in it already that is about half (1.3m or perhaps slightly more) the width of the wall. The wall is solid/brick but I don't think it is a supporting wall - I am no expert, but assume that as a lot of the wall has already been taken out to make the arch that it can't be supporting. There is a bathrom directly above this wall, but the bathroom wall is not directly above - if that makes sense - which again makes me think its non supporting. I will be getting someone in to assess this properly, but I'm just looking for a general idea of what this will cost me to do.

The wall in question also houses my fuse box (not my mains switch, that is elsewhere) so this would need to be moved aswell - perhaps only about 50mm onto an adjoining wall.

My question is, roughly how long would this take to do and what should I expect to pay (I live in central London) someone for doing this? A friend who rebuilt the majority of his house thinks its about a half day's job and should cost maybe =A3500 tops. Is this in the right ball park or is he miles away on his estimates?!

Many thanks

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I can't comment on cost, but I'm afraid that your logic is somewhat flawed!

Firstly, there is almost certainly a lintel over the archway - between the two remaining sections of wall - which is holding up whatever the whole wall originally held up.

The fact that there is not another wall built directly on top of it doesn't necessarily mean that it is not load bearing. Depending on the direction of the joists, it could well be supporting the upstairs floor. If the bathroom wall is a stud partition built off the floor, and not above another wall, the wall in question could have a share in supporting the bathroom wall plus anything supported off that in turn - like upstairs ceiling joists.

Your best bet is to get a structural engineer to look at it *now* and advise you what needs to be done. If the wall *is* structural, you'll need to replace the wall with a full length RSJ or similar to support what is above. If you're lucky, you may be able to install this at the same level as the joists, so as to have a completely flat ceiling.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Many thanks for the response.

I'm aware my logic is flawed - hence asking advice!!

As stated, I am getting someone structural in before i do anything but was really looking for and idea of rough costs before getting quotes in.

Im not fussed about having a completely flat ceiling, an RSJ across where the existing wall kind of making a partition in the ceiling is fine with me - i may have to leave the very edge of the walls in anyway as i think the plumbing runs inside up to the bathroom, otherwise will need to box the pipes in anyway. Again, as am amatuer I have no idea and can only assume you are right about there being a lintel over the arch.

Anyone got any ideas on the logistics/costs behind moving the fuse box or indeed any estimated time/costs to get this job done?

Reply to
Matt

Never *ever* assume any wall - even a stud one - isn't supporting. I'm afraid you need an expert to assess this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

----- snip

We have just had a new consumer unit fitted... Fairly big job... New tails, Wylex 19 way - only 3 slots unused. The team of two (one very competent, the other an "apprentice") were here for most of the day... Total cost - inc parts and Vat was £350. Didn't seem too bad to me.. We are in Hampshire.

Interestingly we too are about to knock down a wall with an arch between the the kitchen and dining room!

Roy

Reply to
RzB

pics...

RzB

Many thanks - most useful.

Reply to
Matt

What was?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You chould chip away at some of the plaster above the existing arch to see what's already there. You could also either remove some fo the ceiling or flooring above to see what the joist situation is like. You'll need someone to say whether the upstair can support itself without that wall there (or not). Also the side walls will need to be judged to see how much of existing wall needs to remain to brace them if necessary and/or to support the RSJ (UB) if necessary.

A friend paid I think 2 grand for a wall knock-through which I thought was expensive and I've also heard very high prices for moving consumer units. If all in it's a days job for a couple of people how much would

*you* want to be paid for that time if it were you?
Reply to
adder1969

My time/costs are irrelevant as I'm not in that trade..!!

BUT (assuming i get someone structural around first to confirm it all) I surely wouldnt be looking at more than about 3-400 labour for the day

- otherwise you're looking at pro rata 100k ish a year for the main man assuming he brings an apprentice or junior with him, which is a lot - or am I being naive?

I'm hopefully going to get a few quotes in soon, but if i can get the wall and consumer unit done for 1 - 1.5k (no idea of costs on top of labour here) i think thats probably about right - otherwise I'm in the wrong game!!

Will post back quotes if they seem extortionate, opinions apreciated.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Haven't you got anything better to do?