Knocking radiator

The cold spell has meant having the CH on again. I have a radiator which is knocking. I have ascertained that it is the thermostat valve, is it likely to be the top bit, that does the temperature checking or the valve itself. If the valve is it likely to be cured by a spray of WD40, or will I need to drain off and replace the valve?

Reply to
Moonraker