Klempnerarbeit

Just back from a coach trip to the German Christmas Markets - really enjoyed it.

Something I especially noticed (I need to get out more) was the German plumbing & tiling. Everything I saw had chrome or SS pipework with shut off valves on everything - very impressive. Tiling was also really good - in our hotel bathroom I was convinced the walls were tile effect wallboard - till I eventually found a grout line slightly out of level.

Do they still use the old apprentice 'learn the trade the hard way' system? Rather than the 'go to college for a year & call yourself a tiler' system. NVQ - Not Very Qualified.

Most impressive though was on a German service area. What looked like a close coupled WC with a sensor flush surprised me. When it flushed a central portion of the cistern moved out, the toilet seat then revolved 360 degrees under it and was cleaned and dried! Mind you, at 50 cents to go to the bog you expect something extra.

But what is that 'platform' in the bog all about? You know, where your 'doings' lands on a shelf waiting to be flushed?

What's the benefit in that?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I once heard that it was so you could inspect for worms....

Reply to
Bob Eager

You were impressed by a German service area? Have English ones become that bad.

Ah. the worm inspection arrangement.

These are popular in the Netherlands as well and come from an obsession for the inspection of one's turds. The original intent was to be able to look for worms, but the habit has remained.

So next time someone suggests the use of a wormery, just think that these are just a different version of the same thing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I expect it might prevent "splash-back" too :-)

Reply to
Sparks

They were fitted in the first center parcs at sherwood forest when I worked there when it just opened. Hearing the English trying to have a slight complaint about them while avoiding using the normal words was always fun...

"The toilets, they are ...well...errr...kindof..... youknow........*giggle*.........strange"

The scots were more to the point.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Pigs. Very popular in Germany and pigs often carried Pork Tapeworm which causes neurocysticercosis and teniasis in humans. Tapeworms are segmented, with each segment (proglottid) capable of producing eggs. Eggs are dispersed by individual or groups of proglottids detaching and passing out with the stool.

The platform was to allow for inspection for evidence of worm infestation.

Reply to
Peter Parry

snipped

Scratch 'n Sniff :-)

Reply to
Stuart

Absolutely fecking disgraceful. You don't need a sign to guide you, just follow the smell! What would be the best way to describe it?...let me think now, Ah yes PI$$ and warm stale pI$$ at that. The tiles are cracked / missing. All of the taps are fitted with a J cloth because they all leak. The place is literally 'A Toilet!!' I wrote to the Management company and got a very curt ' you are the only one to complain...yahda yahda yahda' probably because I am the only one to suvive! ....Rant ends>

Still I suppose its one better than Sandbach, keele and Knutsford where there is always a pr4tt trying to sell you something! I ask you, MACHITA power tools!! leather jackets that you can smell the pvc glue on and best of all 'Genuine Divers Watches with a valve for the Helium, Sir' Picked the wrong one there as I am a Diving Instructor, but I let him go on for 10 mins as I was sat in the car and he was stood in the rain. At least his watch was ok, although a little 'misty' by the end of our little chat,hey-ho!!

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

When I drove through Germany a couple of years ago there was an ungarded dish for people to leave money after using the toilets. I cannot see that happening at Wolley Edge Services on the M1.

I prefered the Eastern Europeans countries that had an old woman outside demanding few Korunas or Zloty's to use their service station toilets. They were clean.

And Austria.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The message from "Grumpy owd man" contains these words:

Or worse, the foyer is infested by the local radio station's mobile stage and you can't get to the bogs without having your earwax melted.

Reply to
Guy King