Kitchen Worktop Mitre on External Corner

I've read lots of things about Mason's mitres and jigs and everything, but I need to take my worktop around an external corner, not an internal one as most articles seem to mention. Does anyone have recommendations as to the best way of doing this? I'm guessing a straight-forward full 45deg mitre (can I use one of those jig thingys to do this?), but this would leave quite a sharp pointy corner - any other suggestions? TIA for any advice you guys can give me, Nick

Reply to
Nixfix

I take it the sharp corner is over the corner of some base units below

-- Part P Avoider

Reply to
Part P Avoider

It is a lot easier with a solid worktop, as you can then ease out a nice radiused curve at the corner with a router.

Does the budget stretch to using Beech/Iroko?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes the corner will be over base units, specifically one of those corner shelf units.

Corner_________ | ______ | | | | wall | |

Cheers...

Reply to
nixfix

Unfortunately not - stuck with laminate I'm afraid - I s'pose I could do a

45deg join, and then take a 45deg lop off the corner and shove some edging strip on it to get around the sharp problem...
Reply to
nixfix

One alternative that can work is to tile the worksurface with cheap tiles on a sheet of ply. Then you can do any shape you like, as the front of the worksurface is done with wooden mouldings that are easy to cut in a compound mitre saw.

Not everyone gets on with tiled surfaces, though. Many prefer it totally flat, although it can look nice, particularly in a traditional context, and isn't that hard to clean.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

P.S. This is also a cheap method for using natural stone. You can get granite tiles (30x30) for about 3 quid a pop. This makes a 3m length of worktop cost about 100 quid, including the ply, adhesive, grout and mouldings. In solid granite, you could be looking at a four figure sum.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle