kitchen worktop lights

Hello,

Can anyone tell me is there any requirement for under-cupboard lights in kitchens to be of a particular IP rating? There are a couple of strip lights fitted under our cupboards and they are just naked bulbs with no diffuser so I presume no ingress protection.

I know it's unlikely they will ever get a jet of water directed at them but I'm thinking there will be steam from a kettle or perhaps if you have a steamer? And may be if you have an electric whisk on a bit too fast something might get sprayed?

I'd like to have new kitchen and I'm wondered what our options would be?

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

IP2X is a minimum for almost all electrical appliances (i.e. can't stick fingers into live parts).

You should consider any such possibility, but it's unlikely you need to take any special measures in most domestic cases.

In a commercial kitchen, you should also consider the possibility of a light contaminating food, e.g. if the glass breaks.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Belated thanks for your reply. IP2-something it is then.

Reply to
Stephen

note all filament strip lights fail to meet this.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Recent ones I've seen don't -- they're all switched by lamp removal. However, filament strip lamps are something that really should be banned on the grounds of appauling efficiency, poor life, and many more suitable replacement products. There probably aren't enough still used to worry about them though.

Of course, pretty well all exposed ES and BC lampholders are not IP2X. ES lampholders do manage to kill people, although probably not directly because of lack of IP2X.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They're certainly lousy, though they still have their uses, and I dont see any reason to ban everything you or I might not wish to choose. Thats whats so wrong with the labour party.

There are still lots in use as under cabinet kitchen lighting, hastening food spoilage and cabinet yellowing with their heat - and theyre still being fitted.

NT

Reply to
meow2222