Kitchen Worktop - Deep !

Hi Folks

Could anyone please tell me where I can buy extra wide kitchen worktop i.e. 665mm or 670mm, rather than usual 600mm. I am fitting IKEA units - with no service gap, so plan to bring the units forward I know of two brands - Axiom and Durapal - but they only seem to deal with trade. I am just after roll-edge formica type or possibly an edged worktop.

I live in SW London/Surrey area.

Thanks in advance

Simon Wigg

Reply to
Simon

Magnet used to do 900mm wide double-edged worktops for island units. You can cut some off if you want a slightly narrower single-edged top.

The computer on which I'm typing this is sitting on one. I used the bit I cut off as an upstand on the other side of my home office. The ones I bought are 40mm thick - and b****y heavy - don't know if they do thinner ones.

Reply to
Set Square

Try Wey plastics in Wandsworth - 020 8874 2003, off Garratt Lane - they do a phenomenal range of worktops and laminates, will cut mitres if required, most things available for next day. Not particularly cheap, but worth looking anyway.

Reply to
adrian berry

Would you like to make your own out of real wood for about the same price?

Buy some lengths of 4, 5 or 6 inch by 1 1'2 inch section, with or without knots to suit. Three sash cramps and some waterproof wood glue (the foam stuff that comes in a mastic type cartridge)

Buy the lengths a little longer than you need and join them together to the width you require. If you are not confident about assembling them all at once, join the lengths one at a time. That polystyrene glue goes off like a rocket.

Choose which face you want to keep flush and do your best to make sure it is. The other side is not so important. There is bound to be some stepping so make sure that if any, it is on that side.

Put two of the sashes on a level surface some 12 inches short of the overall length and use them to keep the face flush. When you ave clamped however many you are doing at a time, put the other one on top and in the middle. Now stand them up so that there is no flexing from the top sash. Or support the bar of the top one. (I am assuming that there will be a lot of bar hanging over the edge of the work at first.) Buy or hire the sashes large enough to take the width you require.

There is no real need to joint or dowel the wood but you can screw or nail them as you go if you wish. Just remember not to put lumps of metal in the way of anything you may be putting a saw through later. And remember to use off-cuts to protect the work from the clamps.

What did I forget to mention?

Maid ravishing. Yes, don't forget that bit. Best clean your hands first though.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Most of the sheds do deep worktop for making breakfast bars. The length may be limited compared to other worktops.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

Simon wrote in news:9nxJc.27$ snipped-for-privacy@news.oracle.com:

You can get Axiom worktops from

They happily deliver to non-trade customers - like me :-)

Note, that the 665mm wide worktops are actually breakfast bar, ie with two post-formed edges (roll-edge on both long sides)

The same goes for the 900mm wide worktops.

You could remove the post-formed edge from the side that you want at the back with a circular saw. Get a new blade and it won't chip the laminate. In your situation I'd probably order the 900mm ones and cut them to 700mm, to give space for waste pipes. You could try trimming the 665mm ones down, but you would probably end up with only 635mm at the most.

Obviously it's more expensive this way. You could always buy your units from someone other than IKEA though ;-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Try