kitchen worktop covering

i have a rather tired looking kitchen worktop in the house i have recently moved into, and cannot currently afford the new kitchen i need. is there a product out there which i could use to resurface the worktops? i think i have seen this kind of thing avialable as a roll but cannot find it anywhere?

Reply to
mpt1978

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:29:58 -0700, mpt1978 mused:

Wouldn't bother, I'd leave it and save up for a new kitchen or just replace the worktops.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , mpt1978 writes

Can't think anything on a roll that would stand up to any use in a kitchen.

If it's square edged I guess you could stick Formica down to it. But I doubt that it's any cheaper or easier than replacing the worktop.

I replaced the worktop in our old kitchen, with cheapish laminate worktop as the old one was dire. Not brilliant worktop but lasted the five years or so until well enough we would have replaced the kitchen if we hadn't then moved. It wasn't that expensive.

Repainted the doors and handles as well and it looked much better. Lots of people thought we have replaced the kitchen.

Reply to
chris French

There was/is some sort of coating designed to adhere to Formica/ Arborite surfaces. IIRC it was applied with a roller? My daughter used it many years ago; but I don't know how well it lasted under normal kitchen usage and she has since moved. If I get more info will post here. Terry.

Reply to
terry

================================== You might be thinking of 'Fablon' which is a self-adhesive fabric covering. It's usually available from decorating shops as it's used like wallpaper. I doubt if it would last very long on a worktop.

You might consider a cheap tiling job but you'd have to modify the rounded outer edge which shouldn't be too difficult for a short run.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Fablon do an extra-heavy-duty plastic one, designed for use on kitchen units. It's not suggested for the counters, but might hold up (with light use) for a short time, while you save up for proper countertops. I've seen it in B&Q.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Fablon lasts fine on a kitchen worktop. Mine has been covering chipboard for two years now. The pretty pattern has worn away a bit but it still provides a hygenic washable surface. The new and beautful 'proper' worktop will happen any year now ...

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Valerie Singleton would be very proud, Anna :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes I cant understand where my Blue Peter badge has got to ... must have been held up in the postal strike :-)

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle