Kitchen worktop ( and possibly units)

Hi,

Hope everyone is OK.Long time and no posts.

I have an old kitchen - must be mid 1980's? I do not want to change it. I t hink it was probably one of those expensive fitted ones of the time. However, my kitchen sink (inset) has bitten the dust - its supposed to be s tainless steel but its rusted out round the clips and things and the bottom is now flaking off. So I got a new one.

The trouble is now the old sink has been removed its clear the work top isn 't all it could be and the under sink cabinet (corner unit) is iffy too. I have tried all the big names for a decent cheap cabinet that would match a nd looked at all the reviews online.

Simply there isn't anything that will fit with my existing kitchen.It was , back in the day, if anyone is old enough to remember,its similar to "baske t weave". (off white/cream with a check pattern in it). I remember having o ne in my mums house. Made by MFI possibly. One of their better ones.

Anyway, being a skin flint, I want to pick something up that will match wit hout changing the whole kitchen. Any suggestions? Ditto a work top although I could use a wood effect work surface.

And can anyone suggest where I might get a cheap but sturdy drawer unit (5

00 mm) Got a B& Q replacement about 10 years ago there and its rubbish.

I dont want "shaker" or " High gloss" . I want something simple and easy to clean.

Thanks.

Reply to
sweetheart

think it was probably one of those expensive fitted ones of the time.

stainless steel but its rusted out round the clips and things and the bott om is now flaking off. So I got a new one.

sn't all it could be and the under sink cabinet (corner unit) is iffy too. I have tried all the big names for a decent cheap cabinet that would match and looked at all the reviews online.

,back in the day, if anyone is old enough to remember,its similar to "bas ket weave". (off white/cream with a check pattern in it). I remember having one in my mums house. Made by MFI possibly. One of their better ones.

ithout changing the whole kitchen. Any suggestions? Ditto a work top althou gh I could use a wood effect work surface.

(500 mm) Got a B& Q replacement about 10 years ago there and its rubbish.

I think white unit(s) and paint is going to be your best way forward. Even paint the whole lot of them.

Reply to
harry

If the doors/drawer fronts are OK could you not re-use these on a generic carcass, cut down to fit if required?

Is it just the worktop that was hidden by the sink that has got water damage and if repaired could be hidden by another sink? Where I've replaced a sink and the chipboard worktop underneath had started to expand I soaked the edge in Ronseal wet rot wood hardener and then using two bits of scrap wood top and bottom clamped tightly to squeeze the expanding chipboard back to almost original thickness. The Ronseal product sets rock hard. The clamping has to be relatively quick. I did one edge at a time. I also wrapped the scrap wood in plastic to provide a release surface in case the Ronseal product glued the scrap to the work surface

Great Value Product

Ronseal RONSEAL WET ROT WOOD HARDENER

Reply to
alan_m

I found the B & Q off the shelf units to be quite solid. When I had a similar problem, I just bought a standard cabinet and hacked it down to fit, then drilled new hinge holes to allow me to fit the original doors. It's a bit of a fiddle, but not too difficult.

Reply to
Capitol

Opps that should have been a link

possibly cheaper elsewhere.

Reply to
alan_m

I think it was probably one of those expensive fitted ones of the time.

be stainless steel but its rusted out round the clips and things and the bo ttom is now flaking off. So I got a new one.

isn't all it could be and the under sink cabinet (corner unit) is iffy too . I have tried all the big names for a decent cheap cabinet that would mat ch and looked at all the reviews online.

as ,back in the day, if anyone is old enough to remember,its similar to "b asket weave". (off white/cream with a check pattern in it). I remember havi ng one in my mums house. Made by MFI possibly. One of their better ones.

without changing the whole kitchen. Any suggestions? Ditto a work top alth ough I could use a wood effect work surface.

t (500 mm) Got a B& Q replacement about 10 years ago there and its rubbish.

Quite, so it's unclear where the problem is exactly. With a sliding mitre s aw you could cut any generic carcass down to fit, or make one from sheet. I f making I'd likely use OSB3 or less likely WBP ply.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Another *larger* sink!

Or go the whole hog and get sit on sink, doing away altogether with that bit of worktop? I'm not sure whether those are available for corner units, though?

Reply to
GB

Hope everyone is OK.Long time and no posts.

I have an old kitchen - must be mid 1980's? I do not want to change it. I think it was probably one of those expensive fitted ones of the time. However, my kitchen sink (inset) has bitten the dust - its supposed to be stainless steel but its rusted out round the clips and things and the bottom is now flaking off. So I got a new one.

Is this a new worktop one to replace the one your OH burnt down 6 years ago?

Reply to
ARW