kitchen work top support

I am just fitting a Wickes kitchen

We have a run of units like so:-

-------------------------- | unit | unit | fridge | | | | | | | | | |-------|-------| |

As there is no unit to the right of the fridge, I have been supplied with what is called a decor end (bit of coloured chipboard!) which is used to support the right hand end of the worktop.

According to the Salesman I should attach this to the wall floor and worktop to hold it in place.

However, I am not happy with having the chipboard sitting directly on the floor, which inevitably will get wet occassionaly, if only from mopping the floor. In addition the board is not adjustable so getting it to the right height to support the top is going to be hard, especially as I have natural slate flooring that is rather uneven. Any ideas on the best way around this problem.

Thanks as always Tim.

Reply to
deckertim

Tim,

I have almost exactly the same situation (except with a washer/dryer rather than a fridge) and I was thinking of fixing a simple batten to the wall for the worktop to sit on. If you want a cleaner appearance, how about routing out two pockets in the end of the worktop (not breaking through the top surface, obviously) and having pegs fixed in the wall for the pockets to engage with? That would be completely invisible. I would think that the weight of the worktop, plus the fact that it will be firmly attached to the end base unit of the run, would mean that it need not actually be fixed at the wall end.

Bert

Bert Coules

So don't fit it directly onto the floor, lift it up a little on plastic feet or wedges... You can get nail in feet that would do admirably.

It is adjustable, it's called using a saw... B-)

Personally I make worktops as self supporting as possible, a 20 x

35ish batten fixed along all walls. Then fit the units underneath using packing pieces under the sides or adjustable legs to snug fit the top of the unit to the worktop.

In your case I might scribe the bottom edge of the panel to follow the contours of the slate but that would depend on the panel had to fit into place and how uneven the slate is. We have small panel at the end of one of our worktops it's held in place by four of those small metal brackets (one screw each direction). With lifting the bottom edge a bit you might need something a bit larger for the base.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks Bert

-------------------------- | | unit | unit | freezer| gap for |w | | | | tall fridge|a | | | | |l |-------|-------| | |l

Where I said fridge before, this is actually a freezer, I then have a gap between here and the wall which will be used to house a large tall fridge.

So although I could use a batten to support the back of the worktop, I still need a way to support this at the front.

Hopefully this clarifies and I look forward to hearing suggestions.

I did think of building a small freestanding wall of one brick wide, but the space this takes up could have been used for storing trays etc.

Reply to
deckertim

Thanks Bert

-------------------------- | | unit | unit | freezer| gap for |w | | | | tall fridge|a | | | | |l |-------|-------| | |l

Where I said fridge before, this is actually a freezer, I then have a gap between here and the wall which will be used to house a large tall fridge.

So although I could use a batten to support the back of the worktop, I still need a way to support this at the front.

Hopefully this clarifies and I look forward to hearing suggestions.

I did think of building a small freestanding wall of one brick wide, but the space this takes up could have been used for storing trays etc.

Reply to
deckertim

How about using your "decor end" but cutting down its height slightly and fitting small adjustable feet to the bottom edge to hold the board off the floor?

Bert

Bert Coules

Two options. Use what you have, but bed it to floor using silicon sealant to gap fill and protect from water ingress.

Use a vertical chrome support for the work top front edge, and leave the fridge side exposed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:26:55 +0000, The Natural Philosopher strung together this:

That's what I usually do, that or fit a decor end panel. ;-)

Reply to
Lurch

wrote | | -------------------------- | | | unit | unit | freezer| gap for |w | | | | | tall fridge|a | | | | | |l | |-------|-------| | |l | | Where I said fridge before, this is actually a freezer, I then have a | gap between here and the wall which will be used to house a large tall | fridge. | So although I could use a batten to support the back of the worktop, I | still need a way to support this at the front.

You can get worktop support legs intended for breakfast bars. One of those at the front will do you and be easier to clean around. In case of dire neccessity use a length of circular wardrobe rail.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

worktop, I

Thanks to everyone for replies.

Haven't decided what to do yet, but the advice is useful.

One idea is to use adjustable feet, similar to what is fitted to washing machines etc. I reckon these would be ideal for adjusting on my uneven floor.

I have seen these online

this company are really wholesale and want =A38.50 for delivery. Has anyone seen these available in the Sheds or elsewhere. I couldn't find them on screwfix or diy.com.

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
deckertim