Kitchen wall unit over pipes

I have some pipes running down a wall in the kitchen where I intend to put up a wall unit. I initially planned to make cut outs in the horizontal pieces of the unit, hang it on the wall without the bottom piece in place, push up the back panel, finally putting the bottom piece in place. Then it occurred to me that another idea might be to put batons on the wall to the depth of the pipes (1.5 inches) and hang the unit on those. Obviously the adjacent unit, without any pipes would need the same so that they are level. The bit below the unit going down to the worktop would be boxed in and tiled over.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Peter.

Reply to
Snowman

Don't most units (wall and base) have provision to hide pipes behind the back board (i.e. a 50mm or so gap)?

Ash

Reply to
Ash

These only have about 20mm, which is insufficient - they're old ones being refurbished.

Reply to
Snowman