kitchen / utility room condensation problem

hi all,

We have a problem with alot of condensation (and now mold) in our utility room which joins onto the kitchen. THis is our first winter in the house and it gets pretty cold in there so whenever we cook condensation is appearing on the ceiling and walls.

There are quite a few vents around. 2 in the utility room plus a combi boiler. ANother 2 in the kitchen, one for the extractor hood and a large 20x20cm one which i discovered last night when i could here the wind howling behind the extractor hood cupboard. Is it worth blocking these up, especially the kitchen one. It gets pretty cold in there as there is only a small radiator.

thanks in advance J

Reply to
paulr

No fit extractor fans if not already there and use them when cooking or doing other things that produce warm wet air, like manual washing up.

Is that cookerhood vented to the outside or does it recirculate? If the later change it to vented and use it. It will make a difference.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Graham Tavener

Hi Dave,

We have an extractor above the hob which goes out to an outside vent. Directly next to this is the large vent to the outside wall which is where alot of cold air is blowing through. This is all hidden behind the "fake" cuboard above the extractor hood.

Problem is we dont use this extractor much , if at all. perhaps from now on we should.

cheers Paul

Dave Liquorice wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com

Reply to
johnw100

Thanks graham,

I might look into installing this in the utility room. we have a similar one in the bathroom.

Graham Tavener wrote:

couple

johnw100

It would help to clear the warm wet air from the kitchen and stop it getting into the cold utility room and condensing. Keeping the door shut between the two would help as well...

Having the main extractor behind a cupboard doesn't sound like a good idea but if it the cupboatd is missing the it might be able to suck enough air out. Ideally an extrator needs to be high above the source of warm wet air.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice