Kitchen tiles with mouldings

Hi all. Using a strongish mixture of colours with 4" x 4" tiles, up to about the top of the wall cabinets and then above these I will 2 rows of 8" x 8" matt white tiles to the celing. I want to separate the coloured tiles from the white 'freize' with a timber moulding or just a simple varnished batten about

25 - 35mm deep. I'd also like to use a small scale timber cornice around the ceiling to 'separate' the celing from the white tiles.

But..having trouble finding the right materials and places to look.

Any ideas? Sources I could look at?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
51

The message from "51" contains these words:

If you're dividing tiles from times I'd be tempted to use a ceramic "pencil" moulding - it'd look much more in keeping.

Reply to
Guy King

I know what you mean, Skips. But I want wood that will be varnished to create a different ambience.

Arthur

Reply to
51

For the batten I'd just try a timber yard. Ask what they've got in stock and adjust plans to suit. Alternatively ask them to cut some stuff specially.

Aside from that I might simply try B&Q (check every piece of timber to ensure it is straight. Don't be afraid to get out the whole shelf full to find the best bit)

If the wall and timber are both dead straight I'd varnish in the garage and stick up with no more nails. If either is not straight I'd screw to the wall, plug the holes using a plug cutter, and varnish in place.

I'm not so sure about the cornice. How small scale? And is this a purely aesthetic decision or is it serving a purpose (e.g. stopping you from having to cut tiles...) If you have a very specific size requirement you will probably need to make it yourself or get the timber yard to make it. Supply them with a cross-section and they should be able to make something up.

Reply to
Fitz

Dado rail for between the tiles and picture rail above the tiles, with a bit of strip batten to pack it out to the tiles' depth if necessary. Any DIY shed.

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles