Kitchen tap reviver questions

My elderly mother (94) has arthritis in her hands, and has a bit of trouble using the taps on kitchen sink (which is some 55 years old). I planned to fit some quarter-turn tap revivers with lever handles to make things easier for her, but the tap threads are not standard AFAICT. The thread on the valve unit is bigger than 1/2" BSP, but smaller than 3/4" BSP. Measuring it up as best I can, I reckon it's

24mm OD with a 1.5mm pitch. From tables on the net, it would appear to be a metric thread, M24/1.5.

Pictures her: The taps

Tap dismantled:
Valve details:

Changing the whole tap is not an option. Bearing in mind the age of the taps, and that the connections are probably corroded and seized solid, and that they're in an awkward place up behind the sink, I wouldn't attempt it myself (even though in my own house, I probably would), and my mother doesn't want the upheaval of having a plumber in to do it. She'd rather put up what is not a major inconvenience for her.

First question: is it likely that it's a metric thread? Were some tap valve threads from the 1960's metric?

Second question: are metric-thread quarter-turn tap revivers available in the UK? If so, please give the link, as I can't find any.

Third question: if no revivers available, is it possible to get some sort of sleeve adaptor, M24mm thread outside, 1/2" BSP thread inside, that would then take a standard 1/2" tap reviver? What is the correct name for such an adapter? Would fitting such an adapter actually work, or would it prevent the seal on the reviver from making contact with the valve seating in the tap?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Chris Hogg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

In the meantime, lubricating the mechanism may make it easier for her and replacing the washers. Sometimes people need to appy a lot of strength to turn off the tap because they need re-washering and the gland seal needs a bit of grease.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I have similar problems and tap revivers is one way forward. I hadn't thought of checking the threads and had just assumed they would be OK.

I am fighting my own battles with non-standard sized waste pipes from a similar era. Is nothing actually the marked dimensions in plumbing?

The other DIY option (apart from lubricating the taps) which might be of use it to extend the cross part so that there is more leverage.

If you optimise the tap tops for your mum to grip it might help.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Check disability suppliers, Age UK etc. I believe I have seen 'levers' about 6" long which drop over a normal crosshead tap to give more leverage

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

And for usurious prices. They charge £10 for a sponge on a stick! ISTR 2-3x the going rate for deep discharge sealed lead acid cells.

Worth going to look at the design though. I suspect you could make something serviceable from 15mm copper pipe with a bit of ingenuity.

Reply to
Martin Brown

£2.34 for a pair (see bottom of page), plus £3.95 delivery charge.

No connection, just the first thing google came up with when I searched "arthritis tap".

Reply to
GB

GB wrote in news:m18gvb$9dn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

The advantage of a conversion is that the tap has a coarse thread so only half a turn is required. The "tap turners" could be an annoyance and get jammed against the wall.

Persevere on finding a conversion that fits!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Thanks for that. I'll give them a try (anything to avoid more plumbing).

I have seen several more expensive solutions that don't look as good.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Thanks from me also. They look ideal.

Reply to