Kitchen suppliers

I thought I'd come and ask you chaps what your opinion of the various types of kitchens supplied in the uk.

and I know you've probably covered it all before (so point me to a relevant thread if you're fed up with being asked).

I've always found this group very helpful and sympathetic.

I'm looking at a getting a new kitchen and wonder if going for a posh german kitchen like alno or nolti would be a better investment

than your ikea/magnet/mfi or diy shed based products.

I suppose I'm trying to decide between bmw/honda/ford.

Does Ikea still deliver only half your kitchen and knock chips off the other half?

have MFI really improved over their previous selves ? has magnet got worse..

Any kitchen firms in west London you would recommend?

Thanks for you input. dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

It's worth getting cabinets made of ply rather than chipboard, IMO.

There are companies that will supply these without doors and drawer fronts. You can also get doors and drawers fronts... Then you DIY.

Me, I make the lot from sheets of 8x4 ply and rough-sawn hardwood, but it takes a long long time!

Melamine-faced chipboard is OK for a while, but eventually the moisture gets in and it swells. So there seem to be two approaches: cheap and chipboard, but plan to refurb quite often (5-10 years or so), or expensive and solid, but last a lifetime...

If you aren't fitting it yourself, the labour cost might make the choice irrelevant though. The fitting is what makes a kitchen, especially the worktops.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Wickes are worth a look, their take away range is well made & very good value.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , TheOldFellow writes

I'd love to find an outfit that did faced ply cabinets off the shelf but have all but given up on the search, do you have any suggestions?

I have considered this route but don't think my skills are up to it.

I totally agree, there must be a market for more water resistant cabinets.

Reply to
fred

I have recently been through the process of choosing new kitchen units, looking for a good quality brand. Looked at Alno, Crown, Arena etc, but eventually opted to go to Better DIY (betterdiy.co.uk) based in Worthing, West Sussex - all communications were done via email, so no need to visit. I was very impressed with them. The cost was extremely competitive (there was a 2:1 variation in quotes), the quality was excellent, and there was not a single mark/chip/knock damage on any of the 25 items delivered - and everything was there down to the last washer. Further, the items were delivered on schedule. and the company took the trouble to email me updates on progress of the order. Other points - you can get the units ready- assembled or flat-packed, get bespoke units and also buy half-sheets of matching finished board as well (which I found invaluable for finishing off inside an alcove).

I still can't believe how smoothly things went - based on previous poor experience with other kitchen suppliers.

If you wish to pursue them, ask for Jane - other sales staff there might be just as good, but she was excellent.

By the way, I have no connection with the firm other than being a very satisfied customer.

CRB

Reply to
crb