kitchen style/colour

i'm after some tips on choosing a kitchen. it's quite small (3.4 x

1.8m). i'm thinking along the lines of shaker style units in either white or light wood (maple/light oak), with ceramic tiles in a lightish colour (stone/grey), not sure about a worktop. if anyone has any advice for maximising the space and achieving a good result then please let me know!
Reply to
benpost

White units mean you can use cheap white appliances.

White units, pale wood worktops and floor, white tiles, stainless steel sink and accessories/handles, should all go together nicely.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"benpost" wrote

Look at the Alno web site

download their kitchen design software and create your own design! You can generate 3D views and get fairly true images of the end result before you start. Excellent software - better than Ikea and all the rest IMHO. No commercial interest just considering kitchen design the same as you.

HTH

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Shaker style is clean in a small space. I like it a lot.

Worktop? you get what you pay for. Laminated chip takes a lot of beating in terms of pure utility and value for money, Granite or Coram is tough as old boots, with a price to match. avoid shiny surfaces. Show every mark and stain.

Using a small space means eye level cupoards EVERYWHERE. Bending down for under unit stuff is crappy. Best to use those for the dishwasher, water softener, fridges and so on, and a waste bin or two if you can.

Drawers are a lot easier to find stuff in than cupboards, too.

If you do any full height stuff, try and get shelves inside the doors. Basically large shelves are messy,. Make sure storage is in small units

- shelves, drawers and the like.

If you like the cluttered look, pegs to hang pots and pans on is not bad either.

If you want ideas about utilising small spaces to the hilt, go to a boat or caravan show.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

hi ive been giving this some thought and not sure if i'm getting a bit personal or not. i'm not really liking all the wood effect doors that dominate the brochures, only the light maple seems ok. i do like oak and ash but i couldn't imagine these working in my small kitchen, better in a bigger kitchen i think. i think the most modern one i've seen is in homebase called modena, which is a silver/grey gloss door based on professional kitchens. other than those two i would probably go for gloss white, wickes do one which is shaker style gloss white called atlanta. i think i'd like something i like but also that would appeal to others. its quite hard when it comes down to choosing. ben

Reply to
benpost

The only thing about gloss units - they show scratches very easily. So rough treatment can make them look shabby quite easily. A semi-gloss sheen type finish can be a good compromise. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

thanks for the tips. one thing i noticed is the units come in different widths. the widest seem to be 60cm with smaller options of

50 , 40 and 30 cm. for a small kitchen size 1.85 x 3.5 m would i be better off using 50cm units maximum?
Reply to
benpost

i'm getting closer to a decision. i'm split between the white units (como from homebase), maple units (contempary maple from b&q), or silver/grey (modena from homebase).

i do have a white washing machine and fridge which will probably end up in the finished kitchen. so i will probably decide on como, but going to have a last look round the store tomorrow.

now i am near to a decision on the units, i am faced with a load more decisions. laminate seems like the best option for the worktop. ceramic tiles for the floor. wall tiles can be added later. i will be buying a built in oven with hob on top, do i go for white or stainless steel? white would match the fridge and washing machine?

as for a sink not sure whether to go for stainless steel, or use the white ceramic one i've been given by my gran (not very old but i would change the gold taps to silver).

then i have to think about the types of units, doors, or doors with drawer at the top. or 3 drawers and no door? finally what accesories... just so many options, and i thought fitting a kitchen would be simple..

Reply to
benpost

In article , benpost writes

Just a thought but there is a white series in Focus called Alpine, has moulding on the doors but doesn't have the shiny surfaces. I bought some for the utility room and they've been just as good as those put in the main kitchen, though of course they haven't got the 'extras'

I agree about the wood types. I have a small kitchen, they seem to be all small round here in mid 30's houses, and the wood, unless VERY pale. makes the room look smaller. Fashion seems to be for hideous rounded edges now that make the doors look padded. went of those very quickly!

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

hey thanks for replies! i've decided against white, i just feel it looks a bit cold. i really like the gloss grey (based on stainless steel pro kitchens) look but maybe thats a bit extravagent for my property. so i'm going to go for light wood, it will either be wickes- shaftesbury(light ash), homebase-palermo(light oak) or new hampshire (beech), or b &q contempary maple. do you think its worth going in all three and getting 3d drawings and a quote before deciding? cheers

Reply to
benpost

i have 90% planned my kitchen but would like a designer to look and see if i've missed anything. going to go to wickes and b&q tomorrow. from wickes i like montana (modern beech style) and shaftesbury (ash) and b&q like contempary maple with keyhole handles. going to get a quote from both and decide once ive seen the 3d designs and got the overall price.

Reply to
benpost