Kitchen sinks

I have to construct an "L"-shaped kitchen in a small space: 11ft long but only 4 ft wide. I have been told to fit the sink on the short leg of the "L", and I need to maximise the length of the long leg to accommodate appliances and a drawer unit. In other words, using a standard base unit across the end with a sink top inset into a 600mm worktop won't do.

I'm considering using a square-edge sink top, perhaps even a 36"x18" one, which would result in two butt joints, at right angles, to the main run of worktop.

Assuming I could mackle up a cabinet to fit under the sink, can anyone see any snags to this approach, or suggest anything better?

Reply to
Autolycus

Why not?

No one says the draining board has to go over a unit that is te same as the one the bowl is mounted over.

KLte see, 600mm deep...what's 4 ft..a shade over 1200.

Blimey so with worktop down one wall there is only 600mm between the worktop and the wall. Thats very tight to work in. And to pen cupboard doors in.

But you can get a 1200mm single drainer sink surely..that goeoes over one 600mm wide unit placed on th eend..and the draining board goes over another dummy one in the corner..use one of those swinging rack affairs to make best use of the space.

I simply dio nlot understand why when constructing an L shaped worktop, you need two butt joints.

Or why you have to mackle up a cabinet..when a 600 unit fits perfectly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You gain very little by making this an L-shaped kitchen - it might be better with a straight 11ft run. In terms of unit space, the extra on the short leg of the L is the same as the loss in the corner.

If it has to be an L shape,

only 420mm diameter, so would fit in an 18" worktop, and
442mm deep, so would need about 19.5"

Alternatively, have a 7ft run on the long leg, then a 2ft gap with a full width end run which could incorporate a sink and a dishwasher.

auctions

Because I need every inch of the "inside" of the long leg to fit appliances in: fridge, freezer, oven housing, washing machine, drawer unit.

No, but I can't see why that helps?

Yes indeed: but the kitchen has worked for over 20 years like this, and the new owner prefers to stick with this rather than combine the kitchen into an adjoining living room.

Back to the "length of the long leg of the "L" problem, and if the worktop containing an inset sink were reduced to absolute minimum width, there would be very little surrounding/supporting the sink.

The short leg consists only of a square-edge sinktop/drainer: it is less than 1200mm wide, so there is an extension of the main worktop to make up the kitchen width (i.e. to go into the corner): the main worktop also abuts part of the "front" edge of the drainer. Hence there are two orthogonal cuts in the main worktop, both of which abut the sinktop.

To reduce its depth to 475mm or thereabouts.

It's a demanding spec...

Reply to
Autolycus

True: the reason for having the sink across the end is to put it beneath a window, but that may have to be sacrificed. It was the plain 11ft run from 1985 to now.

are only 420mm diameter, so would fit in an 18" worktop, and

is 442mm deep, so would need about 19.5"

An interesting possibility - thanks. I may not get the (elderly) owners to accept such a radical solution.

Another one to consider - thanks. I'm a bit concerned about the outside corner: things are too tight to radius it.

Reply to
Autolycus

I think he means why does "using a standard base unit across the end with a sink top inset into a 600mm worktop" not do?

I was going to ask exactly the same thing, as what you have described as impossible, makes no sense

Because it's marginally easier for the fitter to fit, end of......

You MUST place the join between the worktops on the long edge of the L not on the short edge. You will never get it to work otherwise. This might "waste" worktop material, but it will not compromise your cupboard placement.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

are only 420mm diameter, so would fit in an 18" worktop, and

is 442mm deep, so would need about 19.5"

Both options look like the tap has to be fitted into the worktop? Is that right? If so that would increase the width required with the second option.

I agree though, inset sink solve the two joins & support problem.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sorry if I've not made myself clear: if the "short leg" consists of a

600mm wide worktop (with inset sink), it would not leave enough length along the main run for everything I have been asked to fit in. I cannot allow the short leg to overhang an appliance on the long leg - for instance the soap dispenser on the washing machine would be inaccessible. If the short leg was only 500mm deep, there would just about be enough length on the long run, but a 500mm worktop would be barely deeper (front to back)than a small sink, and would thus barely show on three sides. Hence the idea of an old-fashioned, square-edged sink/drainer.

I'm still hoping to avoid joining worktops at all - just sink butted and secured (how?) to worktop.

Reply to
Autolycus

So you have 3350 along the long edge.

Allowing 650 for the sink and the corner you will have 2700 left. So with

600 for cooker, 600 for Washer and 600 for fridge you will have 900 left for cupboards. Not much, but making it 1000 is hardly any better.

The problem is that I don't think that you will find a 500 deep sink that is intended to flush. They come as 600 so you will have to bodge an inset sink, which will not look pretty

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Here's "one I did earlier" from my "files" - don't know if it helps at all: the short leg of the L is a bit longer than yours but the principle is the same as I had a similarly tough time cramming everything in on the long leg too.

Can't remember the exact depth of either the sink or worktop but it was all cut down to minimum in order to fit... ISTR when the sink hole was cut out there was only about an inch of worktop left front and back; and less than that was visible once the sink was in place and the lip was taken into account. Still looked OK though.

There was one worktop join, on the long leg, running very close to and parallel with the draining board. All extremely solid though.

David

Reply to
Lobster

That's a neat job.

BTW the secret to cramming a lot in a small kitchen is to eschew under-counter cupboards - leave that for fridge,washing ,machine and oven - and go wall to wall eye level storage.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher