Kitchen sink waste

A neighbour is having a new kitchen fitted by a professional kitchen fitter. The job is half completed completed.

This can't be right can it?

Comments welcome.

Reply to
Troy

It will work, but I wouldn't be very proud of it if I had done it as a DIY job!

Reply to
Set Square

Well the horse muck will be good for yours, or your neighbours, roses.

What a mess. There will be waste water sitting in the right hand section, solid bits will probably get trapped or at least remain in the bottom the extreme righthand blanked of T, really nice. Anerobic decomposition is really pleasant, NOT.

The trap constructed from elbows may well block after time, depending on your neighbours habits with fats and/or oils.

The final outflow seems a bit high so even if proper traps (note plural one for each plug hole(*)) it might not be possible to connect into that without lowering it.

(*) I think you can get combined jobbies for 1 1/2 bowl sink tops though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

B Awful. A few adjustments to the length of some pipes is needed.

Reply to
John

I have realised that there isn't a proper U Bend - just a collection of elbows.

Reply to
John

Yes, mine - as suppled by Franke, but fitted by me - has a horizontal manifold which collects the output from both bowls, and feeds it into a single U-bend.

Reply to
Set Square

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 15:45:42 +0100, Troy strung together this:

ROFLMAO! Anyway, picked myself up now and it appears what they have done is re-use the old hole from the old sink as these are usually higher as the sinks are often shallower and the wastes didn't have quite the same bulk as the new ones. (Or something like that). Anyway, in order to re-use this hole to save drilling a new one they appear to have cobbled some bits of pipe together. I wouldn't accept it if it were my house.

Reply to
Lurch

Thanks folks.

You've confirmed exactly my thoughts but explained it better than I could have (I'm no expert). All passed to neighbour who meets the boss of the kitchen company tomorrow to complain about this + other problems. Needless to say - no names/details from this ng passed on.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Troy

That set up will NOT drain away properly. The flow from the right hand sink (main bowl) is actually lower than the pipe to the outside, (apart from the pipe going uphill!), so it will always be full of water, and dirty water at that, a day or two after the fitters have gone it will be minging!. Where did that lot com from, as another poster says sinks usually come with all the bits but a 'U' bend (proper one not a bodge like that) needs to be supplied by the fitter, and none of the joints look square to me. You say "fitted by a professional kitchen fitter", name & shame him/them or at least give us a location and a clue to his company. As far as your neighbour is concerned, get him to ask the fitter to rip it out and do it properly. I would now be going over the whole kitchen with a magnifying glass, if he will do that where it can be seen what can't you see!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

There *are* other problems with the installation. My neighbour is in quite a state about things - his wife is even more upset. Neighbour has a good eye for things and is a bit of a perfectionist. He asked me to have a look just to confirm his suspicions.

This sort of thing worries me a lot. SWMBO is pestering for a new kitchen - we *do* need one. How do I guard against this sort of thing? All a bit of a lottery me thinks.

BTW - diy out of the question for the kitchen. Just done the bathroom - that's enough for now :-)

Reply to
Troy

Bless.

Could be easily fixed, though, unlike dodgy mitre cuts on the pelmets etc.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Keep an eye out for the other things. As a DIY task the drainage would cost about 20 quid and a hour to sort out, assuming you have some ideas and the correct tools (mostly a hacksaw). Other problems could be a lot more expensive.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That's a pity! The only way to be sure of a good job is to D-I-Y!

Reply to
Set Square

This, in essence, is no different from a P-trap or U-bend - both of which hold (dirty!) water as a barrier to stop drain smells coming up to the sink. It *will* work.

It still looks 'orrible though - and I wouldn't accept it!

Reply to
Set Square

I never said it 'will not' work, just that it will not drain away properly. It will drain very slowly and the whole assembly will remain full of water all the time. This could, and probably will, lead to leak after leak after leak, and no doubt numerous blockages over time! As I said in my original post get them to rip it out and do it properly. Let's have an update from the OP.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

We had a "s**te" arrangement like this in one of my ex-student houses, a converted old people home so had a big kitchen. When you empty the small sink the water wells up in the big sink (bringing all the lovely settled gunge up with it) before all draining away.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

There is certainly more potential for leaks than a 'proper' job because of all the extra joints. There *may* be slightly more risk of blockages than with a conventional system because of all the square elbows. But the water has to go through a pretty tortuous route in some P-traps!

As I said before, it's 'orrible - and I wouldn't accept it. BUT the fact that it remains full is really no different from a P-trap. And there's no reason why it won't drain ok - until it gets partially blocked at any rate!

Reply to
Set Square

Most of these things can be adjusted anyway - you only need to cut the pipe nearly to length.

It's just bad workmanship.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Update.

Neighbour has got an independent expert to have a look. Expert says the whole lot is rubbish - worktops etc. might have to be removed to make an acceptable job. Obviously the expert had a good laugh at the sink waste setup :-)

Neighbour has also asked the boss of the company he bought the kitchen from to come and have a look. He has also decided not to let the fitter (sub-contracter) continue with the installation and will withhold payment.

Boss promises a visit tomorrow.

Don't hold out a lot of hope for my neighbour - rip off Britain rules :-((

Will post further updates.

Reply to
Troy

I know you don't want to name names, but is it possible you could offer general answers to the following?

1) Which area of the country is this in? 2) Is the kitchen fitting company a well-known brand name or just a local spurs-and-stetson outfit?

I'd be interested in hearing how your neighbour gets on.

Andrew

Reply to
PoP