kitchen mixer flexi tails with female "tap connector" on non-tap end

My kitchen mixer tap has flexi tails with the small double o-ring into the = monoblock, and on the other end not compression connectors, but the same fi= tting as a tap connector - a female with a large rubber mating flange insid= e. It seems to be recommended to use one side of a compression coupler screwed= into the female connector, but that seems a bit dodgy to me as the end of = the compression coupler is not designed to be a mating face, and tapers to = quite a narrow face which could cut into the rubber rather than seal agains= t it. When such a female connector is used to connect to an actual tap, the botto= m of the tap does not taper and so that seems perfectly reasonable. Is there a better way to connect a "tap connecter" on the non-tap end to 15= mm copper ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

e monoblock, and on the other end not compression connectors, but the same = fitting as a tap connector - a female with a large rubber mating flange ins= ide.

ed into the female connector, but that seems a bit dodgy to me as the end o= f the compression coupler is not designed to be a mating face, and tapers t= o quite a narrow face which could cut into the rubber rather than seal agai= nst it.

tom of the tap does not taper and so that seems perfectly reasonable.

Well I'm guessing I really need a

1/2 bsp male parallel x 15mm compression presumably the theads on each half are the same, but the bsp end does not h= ave the tapered shape to accept and olive, so the mating face should be lar= ger. However, it seems common to connect the flexi tails I described directly to= a service valve - I guess you get away with it in practice. Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

monoblock, and on the other end not compression connectors, but the same fitting as a tap connector - a female with a large rubber mating flange inside.

into the female connector, but that seems a bit dodgy to me as the end of the compression coupler is not designed to be a mating face, and tapers to quite a narrow face which could cut into the rubber rather than seal against it.

I think you'll find it works fine. It's just a tap connector in reverse.

of the tap does not taper and so that seems perfectly reasonable.

I would use an isolating valve rather than a straight coupler.

I do often chuck out the supplied tails, and buy exactly what I want instead (particularly if the supplied ones aren't flexi ones).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Standard. At least on the 100+ taps I must have fitted in the last 6 years.

I always use a compression coupler, or an isolating valve if not already present. Never had a single problem with either.

Main reason I use isolating valves TBH, apart form convenience in the future, is that I can earn a very good margin on the valve. e.g. buy at

78p, sell at Homebase price of £4.99.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman