Kitchen media unit

Not sure where to post this as it seems equally relevant to uk.d-i-y, uk.tech.digital-tv and comp.sys.raspberry-pi (with possible comp.mobile.android).

Anyway, exploring the options to finish off part of the kitchen design.

I already have wiring in for a pair of speakers in the ceiling and a little amplifier to drive them (speakers are awaiting installation). Also an Ethernet socket.

This could be a location for a media client and web browser.

On another bit of wall I have an aerial (TV and provision for satellite) plus Ethernet so this could be a location for a web browser, TV and media client (without the speaker connection).

Of course, Ethernet isn't the major constraint because I have wireless routers as well.

So which to go for and what to do first?

Options to cover everything could be:

(1) Budget tablet with a decent (possibly Full HD) screen which would do everything apart from the TV bit. Tesco are currently doing a Lenovo A2 A10-70 tablet with 10.1" 1920 * 1200 screen for £119.00. Running Kitkat

4.4. Small screen, of course. Same size as my Sony Xperia Z which I really rate.

(2) Full HD monitor with Raspberry Pi strapped to the back which would do the same as (1). Barring, of course, the touch screen interface unless I am prepared to pay stupid prices. Why is a 7" 800 * 400 touch screen monitor more than the equivalent tablet? Anyway, 21.5" HDMI Full HD monitor £82.06 from Amazon.

(3) Full HD TV with Raspberry Pi strapped to the back which would do everything, but not in one place (that is, TV aerial is across open floor from the inbuilt speaker cables). Again no touch screen. Target price looks to be £130 for a 22" screen from a known manufacturer.

Side question: is it possible to run a PC as a local TV server - that is, have a TV decoder in the PC and have it provide streaming live TV over the LAN? Side issue being that Full HD TV decoders seem in general to be stupidly expensive.

So far the best option may be a tablet, although I do have a Pi B and a Pi

2 currently waiting for something to do. Also a wireless keyboard and mouse spare.

What does the team think?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Forgot to include uk.d-i-y

Reply to
David

Reply to
David

I am currently in the process of setting up a virtual machine on our home server, running Ubuntu, with TVheadend. So far I have it running and am testing using Kodi on a PC to access it, but the intention is to use Kodi on Raspberry Pis to access it. It gives live TV, timeshifting, recording and playback - as well as being able to access our music files that are stored in another VM on the same server.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker