Kitchen Lighting

Next week I will be putting pine channel lining up on my kitchen ceiling (12' x 8'). I also want to install some built in lighting. My question is this - Can I just wire the new lighting off of the existing wiring and switch or do I have to do something else? Also what is better - mains voltage or 12V. Would appreciate any help/advice.

The wiring should be OK if it is already working. All you should need to do, is wire into any new fittings.
I personally like the 12 volts lighting systems.
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:38:58 GMT, "BigWallop"

I Like both.
One point about LV lights for a complete ceiling like this is that it's a good idea to use thick cables for the low voltage side to reduce volt drop and maintain light output.
Mains lighting avoids this and can be wired with conventional 1mm lighting cable.
Another useful thing that one can do if the walls are light in colour is to fit halogen lights to the ceiling close to the walls. The cones of light from the fitting hit the wall and produce parabolic patches of light on the wall. This adds considerably to the light in the room and the visual effect is good as well.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:15:09 GMT, "ARWadsworth"

I think it depends on what you do and the angle of the lamps.
I used wide angle 50W mains fittings in the centre part of the ceiling and 20W, slightly narrower 12v near the walls.

If you use separate ones near fittings then that will work well, although the mains fittings with no transformer would be less expensive. OTOH, the 12v bulbs cost less than mains ones normally.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
| >> Next week I will be putting pine channel lining up on my kitchen | >> ceiling (12' x 8'). I also want to install some built in lighting. My | >> question is this - Can I just wire the new lighting off of the existing | >> wiring and switch or do I have to do something else? Also what is | >> better - mains voltage or 12V. Would appreciate any help/advice. | > | >The wiring should be OK if it is already working. All you should need to | >do, is wire into any new fittings. | > | >I personally like the 12 volts lighting systems. | > | | I Like both. | | One point about LV lights for a complete ceiling like this is that | it's a good idea to use thick cables for the low voltage side to | reduce volt drop and maintain light output. |
Agreed. When I put 6 off LV halogen lights in the kitchen, I used three transformers near the load. Transformers are pretty cheap so it's an option.
I'd also recommed finding a 'net supplier of these fittings. The screwfix ones are good IMHO and cheaper than the local DIY stores. Don't forget to keep a small stock of lamps!