Kitchen fitter does not connect gas hob

I obtained a quote from a local chap who advertises himself as a 'kitchen fitter'. He paid me a visit to look at the work, which was replacing worktops, sinks, taps, and a gas hob.

This was when he mentioned that he would install the gas hob, but was not qualified to connect it.

Surely, it is his problem (as a kitchen fitter) to get a GAS SAFE mate to complete his work - not mine?

David

Reply to
David J

He could have got somebody else in, and added their bill (plus markup) to his own. So he's saved you that markup.

Or you might have had somebody in mind that you preferred to use.

Reply to
Adrian

At least he has been honest & straight with you. I'd do the same, but either suggest a mate or sub contract it to one. I happen to have a mate who is GasSafe, maybe he doesn't?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That is totally for you and he to agree, but quite right for him not to be doing it himself.

Only a foolish tradesman will bring in a mate and pay him without significantly loading the price because he takes on all the liability for that work. Not necessarily anything to do with insurance, just the agro and admin if anything is wrong, parts don't arrive, gas fitter has accident and can't turn up, whatever unpredictable mishap occurs, you don't want to be dealing with it for no money.

If you want to pay for the service then I am sure he can ring a plumber for you. If you would rather ring a plumber yourself then it sounds like he is happy with that too. Don't see a problem really.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I'd rather get my own gas fitter so that it's a separate transaction. My neighbour had MFI install a kitchen and gas cooker, and she had to fight tooth and nail to get the CORGI paperwork

Reply to
stuart noble

Full marks to him for being up front about it. You have the choice of getting him to do the work or not. Someone else who may be qualified, or employs a qualified person to do the work, if likely to be more expensive. You pay your money and make your choice.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Kitchen fitters are basically joiners, not registered gas installers.

Reply to
cynic

My point precisely.

But how can he advertise himself as a 'kitchen fitter' - if he is unable to complete the job! Most kitchens have gas appliances.

It's a bit like a plumber changing a central heating pump, but refusing to connect it to the supply, as he is not an electrician. (However, I do realise the 'legal' situation with gas)

David

Reply to
David J

I advertise myself as a kitchen fitter. I dont do gas work though. I do arrange to get someone in, but it can be difficult to get someone to do such a small job, especially at this time of year when all the gas men are busy.

That happens. My mate is a gas fitter/boiler installer. He will not connect anything, as he has to supply the relevant certificates for building regulations, and it is clear in some houses that a new spur is required for the boiler, so, although he could do it himself, he cannot comply with the building regs without being able to certify the electrical work, hence the boiler cannot be notified, as it does not meet the requirements.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I think it is simply to do with costs. It takes time and money to get the right certificates for these things and it just isn't worth it if you are then going to spend your time fixing cabinets to the walls.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W