kitchen extractor fan - recommendations re reliable brands / types?

I'd like a 6" extractor fan in the wall in our kitchen.

(It can't go in the ceiling - the joists run the wrong way to vent it to an external wall that way.)

Preferably, it shouldn't stick out into the kitchen too much.

Looking through the screwfix website reviews, some people seem to be having terrible reliability problems with these things, and most seem to be quite noisy.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable kitchen fan that's not too noisy?

One with a humidistat would be good, but maybe not essential.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

Well I have alway like Greenwood Air Vac.

You pay your money etc. Other will suggest different manufacturers.

The Manrose fan in my kitchen lasted 8 years before it failed.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"ARWadsworth" wrote

Unlike Adam, I have had nought but trouble from Manrose fans - to be fair this is one fan (lasting 2 years on average) in an ensuite shower room, so probably more agressive environment. I would go Xpelair/VentAxia every time. Yes you pay for the name to an extent, but the last one I bought (4" Xpelair for downstairs toilet) came with a 5 year parts and labour guarantee (I think the guarantee included fitting!). Also 5" VentAxia in line duct fan for bathroom, has daily use and no trouble for 5 1/2 years.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I thought "Xpelair and VentAxia must be good because you see them everywhere" - but they're exactly the ones that are getting slated on Screwfix! Especially the low profile models, which is what I wanted.

Might have to go with them anyway.

My worry is that they all need fractionally different sized holes, and having to re-drill the hole once the new kitchen is in place (should the model I choose turn out to be a complete dud) isn't going to make anyone happy.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

"David Robinson" wrote

I thought "Xpelair and VentAxia must be good because you see them everywhere" - but they're exactly the ones that are getting slated on Screwfix! Especially the low profile models, which is what I wanted.

Might have to go with them anyway.

My worry is that they all need fractionally different sized holes, and having to re-drill the hole once the new kitchen is in place (should the model I choose turn out to be a complete dud) isn't going to make anyone happy.

Cheers, David.

Do you mean the duct hole, or fixing holes? The point you make is a good one - if the fan is going to be recessed into the wall, or require specific install "features", I would try to make sure that a number of different models can be substituted. The fan in our en-suite is a pain! The installers tiled around the fan, so I can't simply replace with better model without part re-tiling - and of course the tiles are no longer available. Also the cable entry is on the opposite side to most decent models. So I'm stuck with replacing it with another equally useless model (probably in about 6 months based on past performance).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

A quick look didn't find me negative reviews of the VentAxia ones, but it's worth noting that because people are more likely to give a review if something goes wrong, the more popular models can end up having more negative reviews even if they are more reliable.

Reply to
Jón Fairbairn

if it were me I woul d get one mounted outside if at all posisble, to make it quieter in the kitchen.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Good point. I bought and installed the VentAxia 150, and it seems to be fine so far.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

Wall mounted Xpelair 6" or Vent-Axia 6" (150mm) with pullcord or remote switch.

The remote switch versions COULD be very useful. You could use it with a runback timer such as the Electrisaver

15/30/60min or 30/60/120min, so set it when starting cooking, it runs on after cooking to get smells/steam/heat out, then shuts off automatically. TLC do a cheaper runback timer for about =A315 with blue LED if it suits your environment (Electrisaver is discrete red).

You can get runback timer fans GXC6T is one, about =A369-92 from www.dealel= ec.com amongst others (sometimes on Ebay really cheap, like =A320 new although not often).

Aside - the Electrisaver timer could also be used with a cooker hood, providing the same and very useful functionality. A simple prod for

15min runtime for breakfast, or 60min runtime for main meal with a "push it back up to 60min and leave the oven door wide open to get the heat out of the kitchen" just after you serve the meal.

You need appropriate fusing & isolator.

Reply to
js.b1