Kitchen extractor fan for over gas or electric hob ?

Over where the oven will be in the bungalow is a wall vent. I'm upgrading the kitchen with either a gas or electric hob- gas is more popular but makes more water vapour. Its to be rented out for a few years

The existing vent isn't over the centre of the hob, (its in the corner) so I cant use a modern type of hood, unless I knock a new hole in the wall

What about a humidity controlled fan like this Humidistat Axial Extractor Fan

but the [Difference between kitchen and bathroom fan? ] thread at

suggests a bathroom fan might be too noisy.

Plasterers are due in a week, so it'd be best to sort this out before then.

Would it need a separate elec supply, or is it ok to spur it off the cooker power?

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

in which case an electric hob (it's one appliance fewer to pay a gas safety check on) with the extractor fan wired with an unswitched fused spur into the load terminals on the cooker switch, so that the cooker cannot be used without the fan running. This will help cut steam levels down despite the w orst habits of tenants.

If you can't get a hood over the cooker then consider a 6" fan as a minimum and if it's a big room get a 12".

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That's pretty well the same as I fitted to my small bathroom last year. I would say that it lacks the capacity and pressure to cope with a kitchen

- after a quick shower mine needs about 20 min. or so to clear the condensation. I would have thought that a kitchen fan would be noisier - is that what you meant? It seemed to be that way when I was looking at fans.

If it's wired into the load side it'll be on all the while the cooker's switch is.

Reply to
PeterC

In message , at

06:29:54 on Sun, 8 Mar 2015, DICEGEORGE remarked:

I've got a "modern type of hood" and the flue points upwards. As that's not very helpful for most kitchen designs[1], I expect they anticipate users installing a right-angle bend either through the wall or sideways along the wall near the ceiling.

[1] I suppose you might get away with it on new build, in the void between the ceiling and the floor above, if building regs allow that it leads towards an external wall.
Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 16:13:21 on Sun, 8 Mar 2015, Roland Perry remarked:

and

Reply to
Roland Perry

its a bungalow and I don't want to cut into the roof

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

In message , at

11:44:21 on Sun, 8 Mar 2015, DICEGEORGE remarked:

I wasn't suggesting you needed to. My hood has a vertical flue (only a few inches long above the centrifugal fan) above which I've put a right-angle bend through the wall behind the cooker. Alternatively I could have put a differently-aligned right-angle bend in, and run the vent along the wall somewhere near the ceiling, and through the wall that it eventually hit.

Reply to
Roland Perry

The pipe from my hood runs above a couple of cupboards before going out through a wall. The fan in the hood comes on automatically whenever my induction hob is used.

Reply to
Michael Chare

In message , at

19:04:29 on Sun, 8 Mar 2015, Michael Chare remarked:

That's right - just run a duct from the output of the hood to wherever the hole [already] is.

Mine's entirely manual.

Reply to
Roland Perry