kitchen electrics

I'm fitting a new kitchen and want to install some new sockets on the ring main. I understand that anyone is allowed to put in extra sockets but not in a kitchen. What are the special requirements for kitchen sockets? Are there any regulations regarding sockets in proximity to the sink/taps? My intention is to chase out the walls, install the back boxes, wiring and sockets and get an electrician to break into the existing ring with the new wiring.

Thanks in advance

Justin

Reply to
J C C

If the BCO is not in evidence, do it yourself.

You obviously know how.

Connecting into the ring is trivial if you switch it off first ;-)

Usually you can find two sockets with a bit of wire between, remove that and connect your ring extension to it.

Otherwise use crimps, tape up well and insert into chased channels.

I think the sockets are supposed to be out of arms length reach from taps or summat, but that is not definitive knowledge - someone else will know.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

wiring and

With respect IMO he does not, if he did he would not be asking about the regulations controlling were sockets etc. can be placed in the Kitchen...

Reply to
Jerry

Anyone still can, but in theory ought to submit a building notice first if they are not a member of a suitable self certification scheme.

Not explicitly in terms of minimum distances, but general ones in terms of the location chosen must be appropriate and the accessories used should be suitable for the job. Most go for a rule of thumb that you keep sockets 600mm away from sinks and hobs etc.

You may find it trickey getting one to do that without also doing the work, but you never know.

Reply to
John Rumm