Kitchen draw logic puzzle

Hi

I'm all out if ideas here... a kitchen drawer will open about 3mm then stop. I guess theres a piece of cutlery in an unfortunate position inside. I cant get any access from one side (brick wall) the other side (another carcass) or the top. Cant get a knife in at the front either, as it would have to be z shaped and reshape itself on the way in.

The only acccess is to the underside of the drawer. Before I chop the drawer base out, probably damaging drawer contents, anyone have any smart idea?

I've yet to try bent wire fromt he front, and will, but am not optimistic. Here's why:

this is a sketch with the drawer slightly open (I wish):

: __________________ : _ |_ : | | |________________ : | |---------------------- : | | : | | : |_|_______________________

IOW the worktop extends over the top of the drawer front, making any wire entry unlikely.

ta, NT

Reply to
meow2222

Keep rattling the drawer in and out? or try get yer hand in from the back underneath.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Try rattling the drawer to dislodge the offending item.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

if you can see the little 'tabs' that lock in to the side panels from the front panel, can you detach these and seperate the front fronm sides/bottom, alternatively will the bottom flex enough to dislodge the item?

Reply to
Gav

The message from Frank Erskine contains these words:

And if that doesn't work, just pull the front off and repair it later. It'll only be held on with four screws at the most and if it's a chipboard front it'll pull off without too much damage - just four craters you can fill and drill.

Reply to
Guy King

ty, I'll try all these ideas tomorrow.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Why not drill a small hole or two in the bottom near the front and at the side (something probably wedged into a corner), and use an 'L' shaped bit of coathanger wire to probe around to pull the offending item away.

cheers, Pete

Reply to
Pete C

Oh dear. how many times in my life..

First of all a jolly good shaking to get as much opening as possible.

Then insertion of something flexible thin and flat..a cross cut saw perhaps? that you can stroke over whatever is popped up and depress it...? Flexible plastic sheet - celluloid etc - works too.

It may be possible to remove all the drawers underneath and get up and over the BACK of the drawer as this seems to be the top one. Remove everything you can that way...and see if you can dislodge what's there. The backs are never full depth or full height.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

With a phone to hand in case you end up with a hand in from the back, impaled on some other cutlery :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

How about over the back? Drain rods, balloons, anything that would move things around. Failing that apply a large vibrator (e.g. SDS drill chuck) to the base.

| ====================='

Reply to
Mike Barnes

You could try one of those thin wall toggle plugs. They are usually spring loaded to be used in a plasterboard wall.

Drill a hole in the centre of the bottom of the panel, fit toggle plug and use pliers on the screw head to pluck out the bottom of the drawer. That is assuming the bottom of the drawer is just a piece of hardboard.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

SWMBO uses this technique:

Jam a tea towel or similar into whatever gap you have at the front. Then thump thwe front of the drawer with your fist (no, not the knuckles!). This causes enough vibration often to dislodge whatever is jamming it. The cloth is flexible enough to provide some 'give' so that the drawer actually moves a bit, but it's solid enough to transmit quite a big shock to the contents.

Reply to
Bob Eager

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

there were some very sharp things in that drawer. Thankfully a bit of percussive maintenance sorted it out - and best of all, I was beaten to it :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222