Kitchen Cupbords

Hi chaps, i need some new kitchen cupboard doors, my old ones (2 years old!) have swollen at the bottom (where drips of water splashed on the doors have run down and hung off the bottom and then soaked into the mdf through the join in the facing materials).

I see that there is a cupboard style in b and q that looks to be completely sealed (IT Kitchen Gloss Slab), has anyone had any problems with this type of door swelling?

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Have had another make of this style, they swelled up too. Use a material that survives water rather than nicely faced compressed waste. Eg wood.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Most will because most are made of MDF, a completely unsuitable substance for kitchen use.

You can get solid wood doors - will cost more though...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Try these

for replacements but you might be better off avoiding the splashes or wiping them up straight away.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Not really relevant, but I am just in the process of putting up some Ikea wall cupboards. I found the method of suspending from a horizontal metal bar interesting. Is this used by other makers of kitchen furniture?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I think that is actually the most common way - allows adjustment.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I just love these statements. " a completely unsuitable substance for kitchen use. " Made in the face of the fact that upwards of 99.99% of all modern kitchens use such material. Its not the material thats at fault. Its the misuse.

Reply to
fred

With all due respect - nonsense!

It's done like that because it's cheap.

It's not suitable IMO, it is merely tolerated.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Peter Johnson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Choose doors that are completely wrapped in the vinyl skin rather than the Shaker Style which traps water.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Peter Johnson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Choose doors that are completely wrapped in the vinyl skin rather than the Shaker Style which traps water.

The b and q ones i am thinking about state they are PET Foil covered. Looking at them they seem to be completely sealed, unlike the veneered types where there is a join right at the drip holding point...

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Wouldn't agree. Chipboard and mdf are ideal as stable sub strata for veneer ing or laminating. If they were as useless as some would make out their pop ularity would have waned years ago.If they are abused they will give probl ems. The first fitted kitchen we had was painted plywood. The paint de-lami nated within a few years likely due to water ingress. Every kitchen we have had since has used man made materials and given no problems at all. If woo d is abused and constantly allowed get wet and stay wet it will also give p roblems. If wood is improperly finished it will give problems. Nothing is p erfect but I get fed up with this constant whine that chipboard and mdf are no good. Its not the material that causes the problems its the incorrect u se or abuse that gives problems. A well designed and manufactured kitchen u sing either of these products will give a lifetimes service. As opposed to some thing made down to a price. Its like anything else. You get what you pay for.

Reply to
fred

ering or laminating. If they were as useless as some would make out their p opularity would have waned years ago.If they are abused they will give pro blems. The first fitted kitchen we had was painted plywood. The paint de-la minated within a few years likely due to water ingress. Every kitchen we ha ve had since has used man made materials and given no problems at all. If w ood is abused and constantly allowed get wet and stay wet it will also give problems. If wood is improperly finished it will give problems. Nothing is perfect but I get fed up with this constant whine that chipboard and mdf a re no good. Its not the material that causes the problems its the incorrect use or abuse that gives problems. A well designed and manufactured kitchen using either of these products will give a lifetimes service.

Really it comes down to semantics and expectations. If you regard 'fine for 10 years until the edging starts peeling off, or 2 years if you get it wet often then it swells up' as ok, then its ok. If OTOH you want something to last a lifetime, or more than 2 years getting wet, you need real wood. And things in the kitchen are prone to getting wet.

Obviously wood and veneered chip/mdf both have their up & downsides as well as different abilities. How wood fares when wetted frequently depends on t he species and method of construction.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

hahah ROFLMAO

Ive just binned ten year old 'real wood' that had rotted completely. The chipboard it sat on wasn't in great shapes nut its hasn't rotted.

Nor has the swollen MDF

Its all granite now. Now that DOES last

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I made my kitchen doors out of plain MDF, then painted them reasonably carefully, and they have been fine. You do need to engineer them so that they don't get collect water if/when they get dripped on.

Reply to
newshound

Look at Rw-nu (?) a firm providing replacement cupboard doors to update kitchens

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

If it was wood in a kitchen, it was the wrong species. What's funny about that?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'd recommend ebay and used doors. I got easily enough solid oak doors/drawer fronts etc for £50. Set up and save a search based on location and some pretty tight characteristics.

Picked them up - the owners seemed dripping rich (big house and cars, but not posh as such) and had had a kitchen 'refresh' in gloss red. Looked ghastly :-)

Reply to
RJH

That is going some for any species - completely rotted timber in a living room. Must have quite a splashy-aqua household.

Reply to
RJH

[...]

The last kitchen we had lasted over 15 years and was sold on when swmbo upg raded. The previous kitchenlasted over 17 years until we moved house. Both kitchedn were in well nigh perfect condition at the end, apart from so me rubbish Hafele fittings.

Really this nonsense about man made boards is only promulgated by the igno rant repeating nonsense spouted by others.Of course its not perfect for all conditions. Neither is wood.

"Oh look this wood stuff is s**te. I used it to build a chimney and it caug ht fire. Who'd a thunk ?"

Actually I'm old enough to remember when porcelain sinks with wooden draini ng boards were ubiquitous. Invariable the end of the draining board over sh ooting the edge of the sink was a rotten disgusting mess. It was end grin a nd subject to a lot of water ingress.

Horses for courses. For cupboards mounted over and under counter worktops i ts well nigh perfect. For use in areas where it will be subject to a lot of water not so. And bear in mind also that not all kitchens are created equa l.

Reply to
fred

PeterC