Kitchen Counter Top Over Hang?

I know this is probably just a matter of personal taste and preference, but I thought I would ask as there may be some recommended guide lines.

I'm about to fit a kitchen counter top that's 670mm deep. The cabinets in question are 600mm deep. My plan was to trim the counter top to depth as 70mm seems like far too much, so the simple question is, what is the recommended amount of over hang? Is it simply down to personal preference? Is there a recommended amount to reduce drips and drops on the cabinets underneath?

Any suggestions are welcomed

Thanks

Seri

Reply to
Seri

I made my overhang so that it was slightly greater than the amount the cabinet handles projected, on the grounds that if I was manouevring a tall object like a fridge past the cabinets, there would be less of a chance of knocking into a handle etc. An arbitrary sort of criterion, but that's how I did it.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Not answering your question, but you may be able move the cabinets forward a bit so you end up with a deeper worktop, and avoid trimming the worktop.

(My worktop overhangs by about 30mm)

Reply to
Sparks

Personally I would like 70mm if I could have it: better for preventing drips etc. I suggest you go for whatever looks OK to you. However in one respect I am quite glad that when I refitted my kitchen last year, I ended up with only 20-30mm of overhang: the dishwasher cannot be pushed so far under the worktop as to allow the steam from its door when opened to attack the underside - instead it comes out into the open.

Reply to
rrh

IMO that would definitely be a better answer if you have any drawer units otherwise the back bit of the drawer will be lost under the overhang.

Reply to
Tony Bryer