Kitchen ceiling plaster board type ?

In an effort to make ignoring Part P easier (sorry re-wire kitchen) I have removed the plasterboard ceiling which was 15mm plasterboard.

Should I just replace with plain 15mm or would moisture proof and/or sound deadening (as my sons bedroom is directly above) be more suitable ? Any thoughts ?

Reply to
Ian_m

What time does the kitchen close?

It aught to have fireproof stuff though. The pink faced.

If you want a modicum of sound proofing use rolls of rockwool supported temporarily in between the joists with string or somesuch. Most people usually feed it up into the spaces a bit at a time but it is time consuming and itchyfying to do it that way.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

That's unusual!

You could apply two layers of plasterboard, and get a 25mm thickness. No point in using anything special.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thats what I thought, had to get calipers out to confirm. Walls are 12.5mm, ceilings (whole house) are 15mm.

Reply to
Ian_m

You can get it, but I've never seen it stocked - maybe I just haven't looked! You can also get boards bigger than 8x4.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

foil backed offers a bit more damp resistance..

Unless you go expensive, soundproofing is very hard to achieve.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The back of it says "British Gypsum 2400 x 1200 x 15mm" and looks nothing special, no foil etc etc

Reply to
Ian_m

Indeed. I was merely noting that foil backed is slighlty useful if you are replacing it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A double layer of plasterboard (thick type) is the cheapest way of increasing sound insulation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I recently did the same thing (Actually it is easier than pulling up the chipboard floor above). My ceilings are all 9 mm 8*4 sheets.

Reply to
Andrew

Maybe regulations have moved on since your house was built.

25mm ( 2 layers of 12.5) of plasterboard gives 30 minutes fire barrier and much better sound barrier than just one layer. But all that progress goes to Hell if you put in downlighters without anything else behind them.
Reply to
marble