Kitchen Carpet tiles

Hi I want to carpet my kitchen with those tiles you can buy at B and Q. Couple of questions.

1) How do you fit them, with glue I assume (they will go on top of plastic tiles) - what type of glue.

2) What other types of shops could I check out to compare prices - would a shop like Carpet Right sell them. Also how about any decent online shops?

3) Finally, how hard are they to fit, will I have problems cutting them to fit around corners etc?
Reply to
mo

The message from "mo" contains these words:

Don't. Carpet in kitchen is utterly vile - or at least will be shortly after you fit it. Even if you don't drop an egg from time to time or slop a saucepan, you'll get fine droplets of oil from pans etc. If you're not convinced, don't clean your cooker top for a fortnight and see how much gunge accumulates even right up to the edge. Beyond that there's only the floor.

Reply to
Guy King

OK, any other suggestions then?

Need something that is easy to fit, not too expensive. It has to be fairly soft and not too cold. Normal tiles won't do because they get too cold.

Reply to
mo

Indeed. And if you ever bake, flour spills make a major mess.

The first thing I did to our house, was to remove the carpet tiles from the kitchen. The second thing, was to remove the carpet from the bathroom. The utility room no longer has carpet, either.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Probably vinyl, either sheet or tiles.

HTH -

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The message from "mo" contains these words:

Good vinyl, like almost everyone else!

Reply to
Guy King

I quite like the either of tiles because they are easy for me, if i did vinyl i would pro need a pro!

Reply to
mo

Cushioned vinyl without a doubt. Lay it yourself with patience or get the fitters to do it - the charge usually isn't that much.

I got some lovely stuff put down in my old flat - it felt soft in bare feet, looked excellent and wasn't that cold - not as in sucks the heat out of your bonemarrow cold like tiles can be.

Worth paying a bit more for the better quality stuff - cheap vinyl is likely to be horrible and lose the pattern quicker.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I have laid vinyl tiles - just as easy as carpet tiles. Problem is they are more likely to lift or develop gaps that fill with crud. I had to restick one in my bathroom due to lifting - but on the whole they weren't bad.

One piece vinyl is still better if you can manage it - less to go wrong.

How big is your kitchen? Unless it's microscopic, single sheet shouldn't be too bad as you have some room to work. You can always cut the sheet outside a few cm oversized but to the basic shape then trim in situ if it's impractical to maneover the uncut sheet in situ.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

The message from Tim S contains these words:

I remember the joy of walking on some in the first house we rented. It had carpet in the kitchen and if you weren't careful and stood in one place for too long you had trouble getting moving again. Eventually I nagged the owner into letting me replace it and found an offcut of top notch cushioned vinyl for next to nothing.

Of course, a couple of days later I superglued my foot to the floor, but that's a different story.

Reply to
Guy King

Yea that sounds liek something I might get - does it coem in tiles?

If I went for any type of Vinyl I wuld probably get it prof fitted anyway. The kitchen isn't massive but it has a weird shape (i.e a rectangle with cupboards sticking out so a few corners to do.

Can vinyl be put on top of plastic tiles?

Reply to
mo

The message from "mo" contains these words:

All kitchens are like that! It's not hard, just take your time, don't cut anything until you've thought about it several times and measure it several more.

Yes.

Reply to
Guy King

I see that you've been persuaded against carpet tiles but I'll answer your questions anyway: Got Huega carpet tiles in my kitchen. Don't have any problems with cooker spills etc but that might be because I don't do any serious cooking. They fit loose, without any adhesive. (Inherited cushion floor when I bought the house, it was awful, curled up at the edges and with crumbs etc underneath. I rather fancy that when I get to thinking that the carpet's had its day I might replace it with tiles.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Il'll probably make up my mind when I see whats available in the shops and whats cheap.

I may still go carpet tiles because I can always replace any that get nasty.

Reply to
mo

They get nasty within days, not weeks.

Keep away from them.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

What kind of filthy kitchens do you lot run? :)

Reply to
mo

Just the normal ones.

A frying pan can put 10 percent of its fat/oil content on the floor for every time it is used. Get a few water filled pieces of bacon in the pan, then expect quite a lot more splashes on the floor.

Been there and seen the mess.

When you find me a moppable carpet, I'll put one down in my kitchen.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The message from "mo" contains these words:

How often do you mop your kitchen floor? Try leaving it a fortnight and see if you'd like that much crud glued into your carpet.

Reply to
Guy King

A kitchen is a work area, where all sorts of experiments take place; not where some sort of TV chef struts his stuff. It's inevitable that some bits of food/chemicals end up on the floor.

Do you run your kitchen as a pure showpiece, "Anon"?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I have a name.

Not a showpiece, but food rarely hits the floor. If anything its mostly water from the tap and as mentioned oil from the pan - which is limited to a small area in my kitchen.

Reply to
mo