Kitchen Cabinet depth

Hi all. How much can the depth of a kitchen base cabinet be reduced by? I have B & Q cabinets.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
51

If you go more than halfway back you'll have the top fall off

;-^

Reply to
Robbo

As much as you want really, as long as you leave enough room for the hinges.

Tell us more?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm trying to make enough room for cokker, washer and dishwasher between kitchen sink side and opposite side. If I can pinch 50-60mm from the side opposite the sink I will get a full size dishwasher in.

Arthur

Reply to
51

As much as you like, I think you need about 3" to attach the doors to, thats all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Go for it. Only problem is that the backs won't fit. They are generally in by about 50mm..however they aren't a lot of good anyway..you can simply tack them on the back of your 'new' units and space away from the wall.

You WILL lose initial rigidity if you go further than the strap across the back as well. (sounds like a S&M instruction leaflet dunnit?)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The B&Q "IT" base cabinets have about 7.5cm behind the slot for the back panel, if you need more than that, you'd have to either have no back panel, or use a router to cut a new slot, or something else like just duct tape the back panel on ...

Also if you trim too much off the back, you'll need a 16mm drill to reposition the rear legs, and cut down the shelf depth and new holes for the shelf supports.

The wall cabinets only have 1cm behind the back panel.

Reply to
Andy Burns

can confirm you'd get away with 70mm without touching the back panel.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's all they have in the display ones.

The drawers tend not to work so well though.

It's a shame really, 3" deep units would be the right size for my kitchen-ette.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've done half depth runs before now. Helps to have a circular saw/ batten set up, especially for the worktop. You may lose the rear fixing on the carcass, and those things are not that easy to re-position

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If you only need *half* depth, it's easier to use wall cabinets instead of base units, and just buy spare legs for them ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Perfect stuff, gents.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
51

I've done it as well, no problem. If you lose the backing slots you can recut them with a router. If you lose the rear top batten you can just screw it in.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have done it with Screwfix cabinets - reduced by 100mm, and it was just possible to get the drawers to still fit in the base units without needing to adjust the drawer boxes.

Reply to
John Rumm

How did you manage to open them after stuffing a full size dishwasher in the space thus created?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Just had to reduce some Howden's (=MFI) cabinets - by about 150mm - which involved recreating all the joints/holes at the back; unfortunately they've now changed the drawer design into prefabricated metal ones which (along with the preformed metal runers) are pretty well impossible to cut down, which was a bit of a bummer. So ended up converting my "drawer-line" units into "hi-line" ones!

David

Reply to
Lobster

That was the case with the screfix ones - had I have needed more than

100mm off the depth, then I would have had to have remade the drawer boxes.
Reply to
John Rumm