kitchen cabients to refurbish

My kitchen cabinets look dark and dreary, but they are solid oak and quite decent quality.

I've had a local quote of £690 to strip, sand, stain light oak and lacquer the ~15 cabinet doors and ~12 drawer fronts. I thought that sounded a little high, but not outrageous. Trouble is, there's still some end panels which are not real wood (veneer over chipboard?) and will have to be painted (cream?). Also the top trim is not real wood (MDF with veneer), but that can be replaced.

As an alternative, I'm considering a change to white. Can a satisfactory finish be obtained by brush painting cabients, even with extra care, eg a light sanding after each coat ?

Any other suggestions or similar experiences.

Cheers, TIA.

Reply to
cabinet-guy

spray painting gives a much better finish, assuing you can do it. But it seems silly to paint over oak. If you must use a brush, maybe lime them instead.

Since I ve no idea what the finish is now, I dont know what needs doing.

NT

Reply to
bigcat