Kingfisher boiler weight

In the near future we will (probably) be getting our old boiler replaced.

The quotes do not include disposal of the old boiler - and I am thinking of taking it to the dump myself. However, I have no idea how heavy a Potterton Kingfisher II boiler (around 16 KW) is! Is it feasible for me to lift it into (and out of) my car boot by myself?

Reply to
Rod

Two people probably. It will be fairly heavy (40-50kg I would think) and awkward.

You could take it apart and perhaps lift the heat exchanger on its own, but probably not worth it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I hope I can get it into the car as quickly as I can get a response on uk.d-i-y! Thanks Andy - just what I needed.

Reply to
Rod

Isn't the heat exchanger several units held together with threaded rods? Remove these and each section is then easily lifted. Be sure to make provision to catch any water leaking when you disassemble - old towels etc.

If it's working ok, might be worth selling the gas valve on Ebay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Rather than water, refer to it as black permanent ink. That gives a more accurate impression of its side effects.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yup - although if the correct inhibitor has been used and replaced regularly it won't be quite as bad. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

I'm in luck here. It can go straight from the kitchen (vinyl flooring) and out through the garden. (Car might suffer a bit but it has dark grey carpets!) Yes - inhibitor used for several years, though not all its life.

Reply to
Rod

Put the bits in rubbish sacks?

Heh heh - then the old Kingfisher was still working ok? Mine's pushing 30 years old. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Doesn't matter how clean the water in the boiler was when it was running, but when you take an old multi-section cast iron heat exchanger apart, lots of black permanent ink suddenly appears, I can assure you ;-).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Heh heh. I do remember some when I replaced the O rings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)