'kin ell it's hot

According to the trusty fridge thermometer

10pm

Outside - 25c (77F) Downstairs with all the windows open - 27c (81F) Upstairs to where all the heat has riz - 31c (88F)

1am Outside - 21.5c (71F) Downstairs - 26c (79F) Upstairs - not going back up there again after last time.

Trouble is, with the windows open there are now more moths inside the bloody house than outside I think. I need a bat.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

SWMBO just informed me its 32c in the bedroom.... me thinks I might stay hear and cuddle the aircon for a bit!

Reply to
John Rumm

move to Cornwall - haven't seen the sun for 3 days ! bit humid daytime but nights quite pleasant

Reply to
Chris Oates

Be easier to hit them with a fly whisk.

I bought a rather nice mains LED thermometer off eBay for a couple of quid

- it's ex equipment by Digitron. Installed it in the kitchen above the built in amplifier and drilled a hole in the outside wall for the probe. It was hovering around 35 all day, so I suppose it's pretty accurate. Still reading 22 even at this time. Of course it didn't occur to me until it was fitted and fired up that you don't really need a four figure display for the weather - yet. Wonder if I can alter it to read two digits and oC?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Here's a tip; sleep outdoors.

Yesterday I bought a sunlonger[1] and last night I slept outside on the patio (well, the sunlounger was on the patio, I was on the sunlounger ;-) ) wearing nowt but a pair of shorts[2]; woke up at ~06:30 and it was a tad nippy so went to bed as the bedroom had now cooled down (thanks to SWMBO sleeping with the windows wide open).

I can see the sunlounger on the patio beckoning me as I type :-)

Sweet dreams.

[1] Initially went to Homebase who had decided that the hottest week in the year (potentially the hottest since records began) would be a good time to re-arrange the store, so all the outdoor stuff was piled in a heap where it was impossible to find anything. Went to Focus instead. [2] *NO!* I *don't* have a webcam ;-)

Reply to
parish

Here (North Hampshire) at around 1am it was:

Aug 7 00:54:35 Temperature - Outdoors 23.0 Aug 7 00:58:11 Temperature - Loft 28.0 Aug 7 00:59:23 Temperature - Bedroom 28.0 Aug 7 01:00:28 Temperature - Fridge 2.5 Aug 7 01:02:53 Temperature - Freezer -22.5 Aug 7 01:09:08 Temperature - Garage 27.5

These were a couple of highs from yesterday:

Aug 6 15:02:56 Temperature - Loft 44.0 Aug 6 16:41:49 Temperature - Outdoors 38.0

The outdoors reading is subject to overreading when sun's out, as it isn't adequately shielded from reradiated heat from nearby surfaces. (It's actually quite hard to measure outdoor temperature properly.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In my dad's gaff, a couple of rooms are like one of those old night storage heaters. The (south-facing!) bricks heat up and it's like an oven in there for at least 3 hours after everyone else's place has cooled down a few degrees.

Reply to
Ed

We've been feeling pretty smug about the decision to fit ceiling fans in the bedrooms a couple of years ago...

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Get one of those camping lamps which attract flying things and stick it on a pole in the garden.

It won't stop the moths coming in the house but you will get a certain amount of satisfaction from hearing the pops as his brothers and sisters get fried out in the garden.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Having just installed one with at the moment the probe simply sticking out of the wall, any tips on the best way of both making it look as good as possible with some form of cover which also helps the accuracy?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

RichardS> We've been feeling pretty smug about the decision to fit RichardS> ceiling fans in the bedrooms a couple of years ago...

One of the best bits of work I ever did.

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know | | about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ "The world has gone crazy: The best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war." -- Anon

Just what did the temp hit yesterday? It was 30C indoors, and I know outside was much hotter.... just how hot is hell?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Very ecological!

Many moths do us far more good than harm, the cinnabar moth for example is an excellent biological controller of ragwort which is a distinctly noxious weed. I'm sure there are innumerable other 'good' moths, the cinnabar moth is just one I know about.

Not to mention that many moths are very beautiful.

Reply to
usenet

Or do what I did - install screens on the windows. Lots of air, no bugs. Simple.

Reply to
S Viemeister

The temperature the met office reports is the air temperature. Measuring that without picking up reradiated heat is difficult. I dare say some google searching might reveal their methods. Probably a good place to measure that would be under a canopy of vegitation which is blocking the sunlight, and dense enough not to allow reeradiated heat down, but open enough for free flow of air. Also need to keep sensor dry, or you will be measuring the wet bulb temperature when it rains.

What I was thinking of doing was placing two sensors, probably around opposite sides of the house, and using the lowest reading at any one time. I don't have a north facing wall -- all my walls get sunlight at some point in the day.

Another factor you might consider is that when you walk around outside, you do feel the effects of direct sunlight and reradiated heat, so from some points of view, thet might be more representative of what you actually feel. However, it won't match weather forcast figures if you were wanting to compare with those, and you couldn't even compare two sensors as the effects of reradiated heat would never be the same in two different places.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

I believe you put the sensor in a "screen" (a white painted cupboard with louvred doors on all sides, on legs) which has to be a certain height (1 metre?) above mown grass.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Alternatively, to avoid frying possible rarities and in any event to avoid such unfriendliness to wildlife, frame up some screens to put in your windows!

Reply to
jerrybuilt

That's easy 50 degs. I worked Mar/Oct of 2001 in Kuwait 50 was not unusual in the middle of summer, but then it always summed there. Kuwait is the hottest permanently inhabited place on earth, so I have been informed.

Steve R

-- "Latest gear:- One piece one button suit extremely comfortable, perfect for Relaxation, Sports, Hiking, Swimming, a must have" OOPS sorry you have one!!!

Reply to
Essjay001

I'm not sure if it has to be above any particular surface, but it must be shaded both from the sun and the wind.

Of course, what humans feel is a more "real" temperature in many senses. If the sun is blazing down on tarmac or concrete, it will feel a darn sight hotter than inside a shady box. My car sensor informed it was 31C above the M6/M60 on Monday evening at 7pm. I don't much care if the Met Office only recorded 27 in Manchester at 2pm or whatever - I was immersed in the stuff at a muggy 31 ! I willingly sacrificed a couple of mpg to be at a dry 21C, it has to be said...

Reply to
John Laird

No - it's not surface mount, thank god.

Reply to