'kin ell it's hot

Page 1 of 2
According to the trusty fridge thermometer
10pm
Outside - 25c (77F) Downstairs with all the windows open - 27c (81F) Upstairs to where all the heat has riz - 31c (88F)
1am Outside - 21.5c (71F) Downstairs - 26c (79F) Upstairs - not going back up there again after last time.
Trouble is, with the windows open there are now more moths inside the bloody house than outside I think. I need a bat.
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk) I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.
Dave Baker wrote:

SWMBO just informed me its 32c in the bedroom.... me thinks I might stay hear and cuddle the aircon for a bit!
--
Cheers,

John.

Here (North Hampshire) at around 1am it was:
Aug 7 00:54:35 Temperature - Outdoors 23.0 Aug 7 00:58:11 Temperature - Loft 28.0 Aug 7 00:59:23 Temperature - Bedroom 28.0 Aug 7 01:00:28 Temperature - Fridge 2.5 Aug 7 01:02:53 Temperature - Freezer -22.5 Aug 7 01:09:08 Temperature - Garage 27.5
These were a couple of highs from yesterday:
Aug 6 15:02:56 Temperature - Loft 44.0 Aug 6 16:41:49 Temperature - Outdoors 38.0
The outdoors reading is subject to overreading when sun's out, as it isn't adequately shielded from reradiated heat from nearby surfaces. (It's actually quite hard to measure outdoor temperature properly.)
--
Andrew Gabriel

Having just installed one with at the moment the probe simply sticking out of the wall, any tips on the best way of both making it look as good as possible with some form of cover which also helps the accuracy?
--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance.

The temperature the met office reports is the air temperature. Measuring that without picking up reradiated heat is difficult. I dare say some google searching might reveal their methods. Probably a good place to measure that would be under a canopy of vegitation which is blocking the sunlight, and dense enough not to allow reeradiated heat down, but open enough for free flow of air. Also need to keep sensor dry, or you will be measuring the wet bulb temperature when it rains.
What I was thinking of doing was placing two sensors, probably around opposite sides of the house, and using the lowest reading at any one time. I don't have a north facing wall -- all my walls get sunlight at some point in the day.
Another factor you might consider is that when you walk around outside, you do feel the effects of direct sunlight and reradiated heat, so from some points of view, thet might be more representative of what you actually feel. However, it won't match weather forcast figures if you were wanting to compare with those, and you couldn't even compare two sensors as the effects of reradiated heat would never be the same in two different places.
--
Andrew Gabriel

I believe you put the sensor in a "screen" (a white painted cupboard with louvred doors on all sides, on legs) which has to be a certain height (1 metre?) above mown grass.
--
Tim Mitchell

I'm not sure if it has to be above any particular surface, but it must be shaded both from the sun and the wind.
Of course, what humans feel is a more "real" temperature in many senses. If the sun is blazing down on tarmac or concrete, it will feel a darn sight hotter than inside a shady box. My car sensor informed it was 31C above the M6/M60 on Monday evening at 7pm. I don't much care if the Met Office only recorded 27 in Manchester at 2pm or whatever - I was immersed in the stuff at a muggy 31 ! I willingly sacrificed a couple of mpg to be at a dry 21C, it has to be said...
--
John

1.5 m

It does.

And the rain - otherwise you have a 'wet bulb' or equivalent.
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:43:06 +0100, Dave Plowman wrote:

A Stephenson screen at the corfect distance from the mown grass and other objects would get you close to the Met Office readings but it is generally accepted that they can overread by a couple of degrees C under certain conditions (basically sunny and still).
My AWS external temperature probe is under the exteneded northfacing gable eave of the shed roof. Inside it's white plastic shield, it's good enough for my use, though will over read due to the hot air coming off the adjacent shed roof.
If the wall your probe is sticking out off is north facing, try and get the sensor a foot or so from the wall enclosed in something that will keep direct sunlight of it but still allow free flow of air. I used an 8" length of 40mm white waste pipe mounted vertically and the sensor in the middle for a while. That produced acceptable results on a east facing wall.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Trying to get my head around this; we are saying that the Met Office can be a couple of degrees higher than reality?
And how would we know that?
And assuming we do know that, then why wouldn't the Met Office use the same method used to determine the (correct) temp, which we used to decide the Met Office is wrong, and then they too would end up with the correct temp?
<mystified>
I don't doubt it's as you say, but can't think of a reason it is allowed to continue, given there must be an alternative (or we could not know there is an error!).
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 16:52:07 +0100, Gnube wrote:

Yes.

Standards and models. The measurement of the atmosphere is governed by international standards which are based on best available technology from many years ago, there have been changes but not many. If you change the data entering the model it won't come up with the "correct" answer unless you change the model as well (ie the forcasts are even less accurate).
Then there is all the old data (used to build/check models or theories) using such "standard" measurements going back hundreds of years in some cases.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 17:48:37 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

I don't think anyone in their right might should expect forecasts to be totally accurate! They're way too general to mean anything concrete at all for a start.

I'm sure you're right, but to me this sounds like an upmarket version of "it's always been that way"! That has to be the worst possible reason for lack of action! You know it's been a long time since we had the courage to correct our major mistakes, The Gregorian calendar as a fairly recent example! ;O)
If there's to be any real hope for us as a species, we simply have to work that one out and swallow our pride before we choke on it!
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

move to Cornwall - haven't seen the sun for 3 days ! bit humid daytime but nights quite pleasant

Be easier to hit them with a fly whisk.
I bought a rather nice mains LED thermometer off eBay for a couple of quid - it's ex equipment by Digitron. Installed it in the kitchen above the built in amplifier and drilled a hole in the outside wall for the probe. It was hovering around 35 all day, so I suppose it's pretty accurate. Still reading 22 even at this time. Of course it didn't occur to me until it was fitted and fired up that you don't really need a four figure display for the weather - yet. Wonder if I can alter it to read two digits and oC?
--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

No - it's not surface mount, thank god.
--
*Can atheists get insurance for acts of God? *

Dave Baker wrote:

Here's a tip; sleep outdoors.
Yesterday I bought a sunlonger[1] and last night I slept outside on the patio (well, the sunlounger was on the patio, I was on the sunlounger ;-) ) wearing nowt but a pair of shorts[2]; woke up at ~06:30 and it was a tad nippy so went to bed as the bedroom had now cooled down (thanks to SWMBO sleeping with the windows wide open).
I can see the sunlounger on the patio beckoning me as I type :-)
Sweet dreams.
[1] Initially went to Homebase who had decided that the hottest week in the year (potentially the hottest since records began) would be a good time to re-arrange the store, so all the outdoor stuff was piled in a heap where it was impossible to find anything. Went to Focus instead.
[2] *NO!* I *don't* have a webcam ;-)

parish <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Just what did the temp hit yesterday? It was 30C indoors, and I know outside was much hotter.... just how hot is hell?
Regards, NT
N. Thornton wrote:

That's easy 50 degs. I worked Mar/Oct of 2001 in Kuwait 50 was not unusual in the middle of summer, but then it always summed there. Kuwait is the hottest permanently inhabited place on earth, so I have been informed.
Steve R -- "Latest gear:- One piece one button suit extremely comfortable, perfect for Relaxation, Sports, Hiking, Swimming, a must have" OOPS sorry you have one!!!

In my dad's gaff, a couple of rooms are like one of those old night storage heaters. The (south-facing!) bricks heat up and it's like an oven in there for at least 3 hours after everyone else's place has cooled down a few degrees.

bloody
We've been feeling pretty smug about the decision to fit ceiling fans in the bedrooms a couple of years ago...
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson