Kick Space Heater Sizing

Hi all

Looking at a kick space heater for the kitchen and wondered whether there are any down sides to oversizing the unit.

There is cabling in for a remote stat, so the on/off operation will be controlled. The heat loss sums suggest an output requirement of around 2Kw, room dimensions are 5m x 3.6m x 2.2m. I have allowed for 2 air changes, which may be a bit on the low side if the hob extrator is running. But I suppose if the extractor is on, the hob will be adding heat anyway.

On the Myson heaters there are 2 speed settings, normal and boost which are manually selected.

So my thinking was to buy the largest available (hydronic) unit, the 800, such that, at the lower fan speed it should be able to cope with most conditions. This should mean that no user intervention is required and hopefully the unit runs quietly.

So the question is: are there downsides (other than initial cost) to buying the larger unit?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I think you're overthinking it :-)

It's a kitchen. You only go in there to cook/do stuff and then come out again. If it's cold you put the heater on until it warms up - simple as :-)

Seriously though, we have the Myson 800 and our kitchen is about the same size as yours. On cold winter mornings the heating comes on about

45 minutes before we get out of bed and as I wander into the kitchen to make a brew, it is then nice and warm :-)
Reply to
Steve

"Steve" wrote

I'm a draftsman -it's an occupational hazard :(

Thanks Steve, but, given our kitchens are similar size, is your heater set to boost mode or just normal?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

In article , TheScullster writes

No sweat, for a kickspace or conventional rad you can limit the output by throttling it with a lockshield valve (within limits as excessive throttling on a high water content rad will slow warmup).

Reply to
fred

Downside is as stated above, and its why I decided to fit an electric kickspace fan-heater in our kitchen. We and especially the wife have not regretted it. I got it from Wickes for a very reasonable sum some years ago, around £50 IIRC, but don't think they stock it any more.

The upsides are instant heat at any time of day or night. Lots of heat, it has a 1 and 2KW flick-switch. No plumbing. Much cheaper than the wet Myson. Total cost of ownership - I don't know but for the length of time its on and the great blast of heat around your feet on a cold morning who cares.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison