Keyhole (mortice) draught (rubber) excluder/stopper (for mortice lock)??

So you don't disagree with what I said then?

Reply to
dennis

I disagree with your drama queen statement about fire extiguishers.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

So what level of expertise do you claim to have to backup your idea that fire extinguishers are safe in the hands of untrained householders?

Reply to
dennis

Your problem is that you think everyone is a retard and needs a certificate to use any piece of equipment.

My experience of fires is

a) put a car fire out on the M1 with the dry powder extinguisher in my van, b) put out a wheelie bin fire using a similar extinguisher out where the wheelie bin was shoved up to a front door c) used a hoze pipe to put a house fire out

So what is your experience than?

I have never been on a training day to get a nice signed off piece of paper to say that I am allowed to use an extinguisher.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Firstly, my furniture won't do that.

Secondly, I can put the fire out with one of my extinguishers (at least one on each floor) and take my time.

In a world of Dennis' stupidity, that's probably his best so far.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It can be locking the claret up from the servants for all I care, but the OP has a draught blowing through theirs and this will stop it.

It also works perfectly well on the inside, especially with the magnet.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No experience of house fires then? So I guess you don't have any experience to say that I was wrong in quoting what the fire service say about household extinguishers.

I don't have much experience of fires, the last one I went into was in flat at some sheltered housing and I had to remove the occupant as she was trying to open the windows to let the smoke out of her flat. No need for an extinguisher, turning the power off to the microwave was enough. That was about 10 weeks ago.

Reply to
dennis

What, won't catch fire? What's it made of? I'm talking about yer standard furniture, e.g. a sofa with foam rubber filling or whatever it is.

Perhaps, but most folks don't have them.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The beds are foam rubber, but that's not a bad fire hazard. _Polyurethane_ foam is the real risk, and I don't have any. Sofas are traditional.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Get out" isn't at all the same thing as "Fire extinguishers are bad".

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, that's the stuff I meant.

Reply to
Tim Streater

There is an odd belief that modern furniture is fire proof. Its actually flame resistant. Its hard to ignite it with stuff like cigarettes. (Hmm? that's another expense thrust upon us by smokers. Non smokers get little benefit from fire proof furniture IMO.) It certainly burns in the right circumstances and gives out toxic smoke.

What he means is he can try and put it out. If it works fine. If it doesn't he has wasted time which could have been used to get to safety. That's why the fire service doesn't recommend extinguishers in homes, people think they can tackle a blaze and get killed. I think that if you want to protect the building from fire there are far better ways than putting a few hand operated extinguishers in. You can fit domestic sprinklers and fire proof as much of the contents as possible, remove ignition sources, etc.

They do say a fire blanket can be useful to smother chip pan fires, I personally don't have a chip pan as putting them out can be really scary and I had to when I was about 14 using a wet towel.

I will stick with the idea of getting out fast and letting the insurance company worry about the damage.

Reply to
dennis

They are 1st aid.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I am a fire protection expert.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

It's rocket science.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

"Get out" isn't at all the same thing as "Fire extinguishers are bad".

I know many professional fire fighters. Brave courageous men. They have absolutely no idea of portable fire extinguishers.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Leaving aside the unhelpful squabbling, I could do with exactly what you are looking for, I'll let you know if I find anything! Andrew

Reply to
AJH

See:

> I know there are plenty of escutcheon covers, which I could adapt, but

Leaving aside the unhelpful squabbling, I could do with exactly what you are looking for, I'll let you know if I find anything! Andrew

Blue Tack

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

You should do, they're a right laugh. If I was organising one I used to use the (nearby) oilrig training school, as they had a particularly generous attitude to how big a training fire needed to be, and if you were lucky they even let us ride the lifeboat drop (swapped that for letting some of them loose in our cars on a race track day).

I really must do the video format conversion and YouTube our DIY safety video entitled "Two idiots and a bucket of magnesium turnings demonstrate why you shouldn't use a hosepipe to (try to) extinguish it".

I am George Goble and I claim my T1 of bandwidth.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You should do, they're a right laugh. If I was organising one I used to use the (nearby) oilrig training school, as they had a particularly generous attitude to how big a training fire needed to be, and if you were lucky they even let us ride the lifeboat drop (swapped that for letting some of them loose in our cars on a race track day).

I really must do the video format conversion and YouTube our DIY safety video entitled "Two idiots and a bucket of magnesium turnings demonstrate why you shouldn't use a hosepipe to (try to) extinguish it".

I am George Goble and I claim my T1 of bandwidth.

Tell me, which extinguisher did you use to extinguish a magnesium fire?

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder