Kettles

Well, a filament lamp of that power and voltage is just nuts. Look for a tiny fluorescent one instead, such as this 3W one which was a couple of quid IIRC from homebase...

Andrew Gabriel

Good grief. I never knew such things existed. Thanks.

Reply to
Tony Williams

They are. Since we're a couple of miles from the nearest streetlamp, we have nightlights throughout the house, and I've become something of an expert.

The low wattage, mains filament ones are absolutely useless. The bulbs are expensive and have a life measured in minutes...

The neon ones are OK, but a bit dim and the neons only last a year or two. If you buy the lights that are screwed together, you can replace the neons easily enough.

The electroluminscent ones are nice, but eye-wateringly expensive, and the panels "burn through" and develop what looks like black spot on roses.

Far and away the best are the Osram "Lunetta" LED ones.

Reply to
Huge

Oh, those. Bought two. Neither of them lasted more than a couple of months.

Reply to
Huge

We need nightlights too.

Unless they are run on halfwave AC. The filament is still fragile though, not suited to the nightlight being plugged/unplugged regularly.

Our best ones in the past have been diy'd, using redundant wallwarts fitted with low voltage red filament lamps.

Reply to
Tony Williams