Keston boiler noise

We installed a keston 170 boiler on a party wall.

(after 2 years??) The next door neighbour has started to complain abou the fan noise. Does anyone no of a solution to this . I have spoken to keston the have not had this problem before!!!. (BS

-- maxg

Reply to
maxg

We installed a keston 170 boiler on a party wall.

(after 2 years??) The next door neighbour has started to complain abou the fan noise. Does anyone know of a solution to this . I have spoken to keston the have not had this problem before!!!. (BS

-- maxg

Reply to
maxg

Do they say it's got worse recently, or has it taken them

2 years to pluck up courage to mention it? Does it sound any different to you than it did when new?
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

How many boilers do you have ??????

-- WoodYouLike

Reply to
WoodYouLike

Just the one (keston 170

-- maxg

Reply to
maxg

Isn't it illegal to mount a boiler on a party wall for this very reason?

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Wish it was. Next door's one is on the party wall - although in what was their outside loo. The pump 'hums'.

Another reason for disliking system boilers. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh yes they have. At least with the 130 which is, I think, essentiall the same boiler but less output. It is a known problem. Keston mak excellent boilers but I think this series was essentially for ligh commercial use where noise isn't so much of an issue.

In the case I had to deal with, the majority of the noise came from th air inlet pipe (50mm mupvc). Keston do a silencer which is plastic an about the size a baked bean can which goes on the end of the pipe. Tha helps but not much. Worth a try.

As is varying the length of the flue to minimise resonance / harmonic in the inlet pipe.

I ended up running the air inlet pipe downwards and into an enclosur which I built. It's similar to a loudspearker enclosure with a baffl and lined with 25mm thick high performance acoustic foam. The front i removeable. The air inlet pipe comes up through the floor of th enclosure, which is wall mounted. It is a big lump because it needs t be lined, have a baffle, be openable (for cleaning) and cause n restriction to the air flow. Vital.

It's pretty effective but can't eliminate all the noise.

NB: It is illegal to modify any gas appliance flue unless you are CORG registered. And get them to read the mfrs instructions regarding th flues!

Good luck

-- CEGrey

Reply to
CEGrey