Kerto LVL beams

Hi all Im just starting construction of a small extension [15 square metres] to my 1974 brick built bungalow.I am installing a sloped roof while Im at it 10 metres by 7 metres.The architect has specified that the roof--pyramid shaped--why make it easy-- is built on 4 beams which sit on the existing dreaded flat roof he has specified failrly substantial beams all made from 3 300X47 Kerto LVL timber spiked together.

1 What is Kerto LVL timber-does it come from outer space? 2 What is spiked construction--can I do it myself. PS Many thanks again to all who advised me on replacing my rotten facias and soffits in plastic--no more peeling paint--total cost =A3800 including Oggee gutters-my Scottish heart gets warm every time I look at that plastic.
Reply to
ancell982000
1 What is Kerto LVL timber-does it come from outer space? 2 What is spiked construction--can I do it myself. PS Many thanks again to all who advised me on replacing my rotten facias and soffits in plastic--no more peeling paint--total cost £800 including Oggee gutters-my Scottish heart gets warm every time I look at that plastic.

These are basically wooden girder structures. The 'spiked' joints are presumably cross drilled corner reinforcement. These holes are critical and factory drilled. Rather like rsjs, you order exact sizes and specify the joints you need.

Sounds very over the top for a small extension roof that 99 percent of builders would knock up in a day using 6 by 2 s. on an edge beam of (if you are lucky) a bit of whatever wood they had lying about. (8 or 10 by 2 possibly)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The architect just specified making holes in the existing flat roof and connecting via the joists to a made up base as you indicate. Building control asked for an enginners report on the connection method lo and behold the Kerto beam design appeared. Does this mean wherever I see the term--spiked it usually means a predrilled at factory connection system.

Im just starting construction of a small extension [15 square metres]

Reply to
tom patton

Check with building control exactly what he will be happy with. Mostly things like that are strapped down with steel strapping down the walls below. (So the whole lot can't blow off in one lump.)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

IIUC it can just mean timber jointed with bolts through spiked timber connectors:

John Rumm

Reply to
tom patton

Erm, you mean the ones like at the link I posted? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
tom patton

Nope, they go between the beems not on the outside. Just put the connector on the bolt between the beams and do it up tight...

The teeth bite into the wood and give you extra resistance to any joint slide or rotation about the bolt.

On the outside you typically have a square plate washer, like that:

stop the nut and bolt head from simply pulling into the wood.

In true blue peter tradition, here is one I did earlier:

shows the joint between flat roof joists and the front rafters on my loft conversion (there is a supporting wall just out of frame to the left that holds the whole thing up!). Each joint is a sandwich of bolt, plate washer, wood, connector, wood, plate washer, nut).

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
tom patton