Kenwood Chef capacitors advice needed.

My Kenwood Chef A901 went "POP!" and emitted magic white smoke - not enough to stop working but it ain't well. I had a look and found two capacitors in the speed controller both looking very poorly. I know the specs: 0.15uF and

0.047uF 250V, but my electronics knowledge doesn't extend to whether I need a specific type.

I know there are several clever sparkie bods here and I wonder if someone could tell me if capacitors of this type

would do the job?

TIA

HLAH

The caps you've mentioned are rated 250V DC. You need a capacitor continuously rated at 250VAC. Maplin do some X1 and X2 though I have to claim some ignorance of the differences between Y2(X1) and X2. I thought it was only Y caps which were suited for use between phase and earth!

(X1)&FromMenu=y&doy=5m7
it's the Chef I think it is it will be double insulated so any cap from the above links should be fine.

Reply to
Fred

(X1)&FromMenu=y&doy=5m7>
>This is what I was thinking, well what I had gleaned seemed to suggest these types would be the most suitable. Unfortunately whilst they do a 0.047uF they don't seem to do a 0.15uF. I don't suppose you know whether the specification of capacitance would be "flexible" at all? Shame Maplin don't seem to have the range they had a few years back.

cheers

HLAH

(X1)&FromMenu=y&doy=5m7> >

CPC do them, although there's a small order charge. 150nF values are listed, and many others.

Bought some a couple of weeks ago when the same thing happened to SWMBO's knitting machine.

Reply to
Bob Eager

(X...
> If it's the Chef I think it is it will be double insulated so any cap from

You can sub 250v ac caps with 400v dc caps. If these are across L/N you should pick X rated caps to conform tot he latest regs (the originals in an old Kenwood wont be x rated) and for L-E caps they should be Y rated. You should find something suitable from any component supplier.

Re cap values, it depends what each one does. In some cases its critical, in some far from.

0.15uF = 150nF 0.047uF = 47nF You can make 150nF by putting a 100nF and a 47nF in parallel.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Is her machine a Brother? And do you know if CPC would have the fuses required for the Garter carriage?

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Replied offline.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Brother 950. It sems to be a VERY common problem.

I got some fuses for the 950 power supply board (next to the capacitors). Do you know what the fuse rating is for the garter carriage? She has one, so I could look tonight...

Reply privately to snipped-for-privacy@eager.cx ..

Reply to
Bob Eager

(X...
>>> If it's the Chef I think it is it will be double insulated so any cap from

Not always.

First of all its not 400, its 415-440v peak

Secondly, capacitors are normally designed to block DCV, and allow slow power higher frequencies through: They may not cope with full high power AC waveforms..they can get hot and explode in a puff of white smoke, especially the larger capacities that will pass substantial current.

Thirdly if its an electrolytic, it can't take ANY reverse voltage AT ALL without going up in a spectacular puff of smoke, and a decent sort of bang.

I'd stick to outside toilets and lime plaster if I were you,.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember S Viemeister saying something like:

No, but it's slightly smoke coloured and popped a cap in its ass.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

My goodness, what a witty little boy you are.

Reply to
S Viemeister

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember S Viemeister saying something like:

Not my fault if you're too thick to appreciate humour.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You are a dunce, picking this one. This is one subject I have a good deal of expertise in, and what you say is variously not relevant to this case or not correct.

BTW since I dont know the OP, are you sure these are caps and not CR suppressors?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Er..well its one subject I have TOTAL experience in, and professional qualifications to boot. Plus about 30 years experience designing electronics.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. For a start, those values are unlikely to be electrolytics. All the ones I've seen are polyester.

Well, he gave a uF rating for them, although I agree it's not clear cut.

Reply to
Bob Eager

if so you'll know why what you said is not relevant to this case.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

especially on ac mains

Yes. CR suppressors are marked with uF though, as are CLC filters. It also strikes me as more likely a suppressor value than a motor run cap value.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It's not often I'm critical of advice here but when someone claims they have

30 years of design experince and makes such an inaccurate statement I feel the need to correct it. There are non polarised electrolytics and have been for a long time. I've used them in speaker applications.

do agree that one can not assume from a DC rating what the AC rating is but that's as far as it goes.

The OP needs to make sure that the caps he gets are appropriately rated for mains.

Reply to
Fred

There are indeed, but one would probably not use one for 150nF.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Including spikes..

Reply to