Keeping the screw in the WH40 soldering iron from getting stuck (again)

A few years ago, I got a Weller WHS40 soldering unit, which was excellent until the tip "decayed". I got some replacements & then discovered the set screw that holds the tip in place was totally frozen. Unfortunately it has a tiny slot in it, & I ended up chewing up the ends of all the screwdrivers that would fit, without success.

I then discovered that the manual recommends loosening the screw frequently to keep it from getting stuck. I also found out from searching the WWW that this is a common problem, & some people recommend replacing the original screw with a hex head screw of the same thread.

I gave up & ordered a new soldering iron (just the iron itself, to plug into the base), which should arrive any day now. I don't want to ruin another one, so...

Should I grease the screw threads with something to prevent sticking (& if so, what) or will anything on the threads end up getting cooked & making it jam up? (Stuff I have in stock in the house includes silicone grease, very old lithium grease, & some copper-based stuff for keeping threads on bike components from freezing, as well as the usual WD40.)

Should I just loosen the screw after every use & store it that way?

Is there any reason not to replace the set screw that goes all the way into the tip-holder with a screw with the same thread but a head (with a hex hole) that will sit outside the tip-holder of the iron?

Thanks, Adam

Reply to
Adam Funk

or others suggested on that page.

Reply to
Davey

All such screws subjected to extremes of heat will seize eventually. So take the maker's advice and undo/redo once in a while.

No replaceable element?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Well, when I could see I had this issue with a Tandy iron, which was probably a badged Weller, and did replace the screw with a hex head, but it still eventually got jammed. I'd imagine the dis similar materials have something to do with this. No type of lubricant I tried did much except make a terrible pong.

If you are disciplined enough to wait for it to cool after use and give it a few turns in and out then I guess this will help but one forgets after a while.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I use high temperature anti-seize grease on some screw threads which go into the boiler heat exchanger, and that seems to work so that they easily undo when I open it for cleaning every ~4 years or so. It's called Loctite C5-A and comes in a pritt stick dispenser. Claims to work up to 980C. I think it came from BES some time ago.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'd get a decent iron.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

True. Antex bits simply pull off. No screws. And you can replace the element too - should that fail. So no need to buy a complete new one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll remember that for next time. Oh well.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Copaslip.

harry

I think you'll find that that has already been suggested.

Reply to
Davey