Keeping Pipe Insulation in place

Planning to spend a few hours over the weekend crawling under the house to insulate some of the central heating pipes.

Going to use these:

(and the 22mm equivalent).

... but how to I fix it so it stays and doesn't fall/move? Was thinking about insulation tape (e.g.

or cable ties.

Am I of the right track

Reply to
JoeJoe

Depends what you mean by keeping it in place but I used Gaffer Tape on mine. Wrapped it around it so that it couldn't come off along the seam.

Reply to
Andrew May

I've always used Ty-Wraps (Zip Ties) - the nylon cable ties. Cheap, durable and easy to fix

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

cable ties are fine as long as you don't crush the pipe insulation.....

Personally, I'd look at aluminium foil wrap tape wrapped in a spiral, that will give a reflective layer on top of the foam insulation so the foil tape will serve two purposes, hold the insulation together and provide a reflector as well.

Reply to
Stephen

+1 to that, just not too tight. The problem with tape is you have to have the right stuf, or it just dries out and falls off.
Reply to
GMM

Tapes fall off in time. It does take longer tying string but it lasts - if kept dry. Under a house, bits of scrap copper wire are one option. Perhaps nylon ties last, I dont know.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

+2 :)
Reply to
gremlin_95

Bob Minchin

Do they no longer sell tape specifically to run along the split in the insulation? That is what I used 20 years ago and it is still in place.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I did mine using unsplit insulation, but that has to be threaded on as the pipework is constructed. (It was semi split, but I didn't break it open.)

It doesn't look like you can buy it anymore for standard plumbing, only for aircon type applications. 12 years ago, Wickes and builders merchants all had it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Remember the stuff that was like carpet under felt and you had to wrap it round? I do, bloody awful stuff.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

That's what I have on the pipes that have insulation.

What's the stuff like? It's in good condition, but is it worth replacing whilst I am at it?

Reply to
JoeJoe

This is what I do, although I just tend to run it down the slit rather than in a spiral.

Reply to
Piers

I honestly do not know how efficient it is. It was over 40 years ago last time I used it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder