Karcher washer - sandblaster attachment

Does anyone out there have experience of using one of these?

Basically I need a whole terraced house sandblasting (it's had the render removed and looks terrible; it seems that sandblasting/waterproofer is the only way to go apart from re-rendering). The only quote I've been able to get was huge IMHO so am wondering about diy-ing it instead.

Are these attachments (50 quid from B&Q) up to a job of that size, or is professional kit needed? Or would hiring be a better bet anyway?

How difficult a job is it (I've assumed I'd need proper scaffolding for this); what about safety etc (especially in terms of third parties?) This job would be done over the pavement, so I'd be concerned about passers-by. How long would it be likely to take?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

I have one. Your first problem is going to be feeding it with dry sand at a reasonable price. I have dried my own on a large polyhthene sheet in the garden on a sunny day. Karcher product would be a joke for the quantity your will need

The real problem is the mess. It blasts out sand and water combined and the amount produced by only a few minutes use is tremendous. Everywhere will be wet and when the water dries there will be sand all over the place.

It is effective for removing rust so I imagine what you want to do wouldn't be a problem.

The commercial sand cleaners use tremendous pressure, sufficient to sever a scaffolding plank I am led to believe

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

In message , Peter Parry writes

Peter, what would you think to using one to clear old and flaky paint off an up and over metal garage door? I've been tempted to buy one a couple of times but you're the first person I've heard who's used one.

Reply to
Bill

I think you would die of boredom. There are a number of problems with them which others have mentioned as well. Firstly they clean only a very small area, they do that reasonably well but it really is slow. I've cleaned a number of things like rusty spades and they took quite a time.

Secondly the sand used has to be dry. This sounds simple until remember you are using it near a water spray - it only needs the sand to get slightly wet and it stops feeding (it's drawn in to the nozzle by the venturi effect at the nozzle so anything at the far end of the pipe stops it). This might be tolerable for occasional use on a small area but doing something like a door will be pushing it.

Thirdly the mess is tremendous, all the sand ends up blowing around and is scattered for yards. Neighbours generally take a dim view of their cars being sandblasted.

Finally, many garage doors are galvanised, sandblasting will remove the galvanising making them much more prone to rust.

I'd be inclined to high pressure water clean it only. Any loose or damaged paint will be removed very quickly and any left will be sufficiently well stuck that it can safely be over painted.

Reply to
Peter Parry

In message , Peter Parry writes

Sounds fair to me, I've already removed a lot with HP water. So just a bit of fine emery cloth may to feather the edges, point taken about the galvanising too.

Reply to
Bill