Karcher washer purchase - advice??

I'm in the market for a new low-end pressure washer and have decided to go for Karcher; but am somewhat bewildered by the plethora of models available; furthermore every supplier I look at seems to carry a different set of model numbers! And cross-checking them against www.karcher.co.uk doesn't help, as the vast majority aren't listed in the product ranges on their site. Eg, look at B&Q at http://tinyurl.com/j7an and they show the KB102 and KB203 at 79 and 119 squids, but they don't appear at Karcher.... furthermore I came across a site called worthaglance.com at http://tinyurl.com/j77j where they are flogging a K300 for 65, and a K420 for 80 GBP - which look like good value - I think??
Can anyone comment on any of these models - are they old stock or something? Any other advice on suitability of which models?
I need the machine initially for blasting flaking paint off my pebbledashed houes prior to repainting; occasional patio-cleaning duties etc only, thereafter.
Many thanks David
On 6 Aug 2003 12:27:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (David) wrote:

The KB ones that B&Q sell are special models for them. Halfords have a similar arrangement. It is to prevent you from being able to price compare elsewhere.
The K300 and K420 models are older ones that are no longer made but are perfectly fine. It looks as though these prices are somewhat less than the current 300 and 400 series equivalent models.
The main comparison points are the motor power, the construction of the motor and pump and what comes with the unit.
I've found Kaercher products very good and the prices you have found are pretty good as well. The higher pressure models will typically allow you to work faster so you can judge based on that as well.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I just bought a Karcher 520 from Argos in a 149 quid promotion. The reason I went for that is it has 2000 watt motor, an extra long hose, vario lance, dirt-buster and rotating brush. For patios I'd definately recommend the dirt buster if you have a heavily soiled patio as it is amazing. The vario lance is useful although I'm not convinced about the brush as using it seems to flex the connection. My washer is noticeably better at cleaning than my neighbour who has no dirtbuster and a less powerful model - you can easily see the difference on the slabs. I think you will find with Karcher they build models for particular chains i.e. B&Q, Argos etc. hence it is difficult to compare - but you should notice all the series i.e. 300, 400 etc. have the same spec. for that series. Which one do you have - well I happily use full power on the paving.
You won't get it at that price I don't think, but a cable reel and hose reel would be useful. I don't have these on mine and straight away I am concious that the hose gets everywhere and it would be better for storage. I'd look for a deal - one of these clearances at somewhere like Argos who do seem to do genuine 50pc reductions especially as they have just changed catalogues. I'm looking for a lawn mower and am disappointed with the DIY chains claims of 'half-price' etc. when they are just selling at the same price as competitors. Washers are the same and I didn't think B&Q had anything near mine for the same price.

<snip-snip>
Thanks a lot for all the advice. I took the plunge at B&Q this week, since they had a one-day-only 20-off promotion on selected Karchers (although I'm still confused by their odd model numbering system).
Wow! what a toy! Almost makes me weep when I think of all those years wasted before I bought one. I now have the shiniest house/drive on the street... has anybody got anything they want cleaning and I'll nip round??
David