Kahrs flooring

We're looking at putting down a Kahrs wood flooring in our lounge. We've found a stockist that can offer the Oak Cambridge in their 'Life' range at a good price; but they also have another called Oak Nice No1, that doesn't seem to be in the current catalogue even cheaper. Both are 15mm and seem to be sandable 'four or five times' according to a bloke in a shop.

Before we call the stockist, does anyone know what the difference is between these two - and any hints and tips before we put our money down?

Owen

Reply to
OG

Not sure about these two particular ones but it may be the cheaper one is slightly lower quality. We have a Kahrs floor (Oak Copenhagen). In places where the surface isn't perfectly flat they fill with something before sealing. There may be more of these in the cheaper one. After ours was laid we noticed some of these areas that looked crap and called them back in. They relaid half the floor, removing the offending items (which should have been rejected in the first place - they had people off ill and too much work etc). We are very pleased with it.

I removed all the skirting boards and fitted new afterwards. To paint the skirting, I slid lining paper under the skirting (the floor gives a bit if you press down), painted down to the paper, let it dry, broke the paint seal where it met the paper with a screwdriver, removed the paper and cleaned up the edge with an old toothbrush. This gave a near perfect finish.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

The uncatalogued varieties are 'seconds'. You will pay less but have to throw away more bad bits (filled knots, colour variations etc). If the area to be covered includes lots of invisible bits (under furniture etc) then it may be a good buy, OTOH if you get the floor down and then find yourself looking at a very odd plank in the middle of the room...

Reply to
quisquiliae

Ah. I bought all my kahrs online to get best price. You will need the foamy underlay.

Ah.

quid a square meter.

Its good stuff, but watch out for stains getting in the edges.

We had London Oak and it came white. but a year in daylight turned it yellwish - more what we wanted anyway.

Do allow exapsnion edges - we fitted oak skirts over the top.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher