K Glass; how can one tell?

I am about to but new upvc windows fitted with K glass double glazing. I was amazed by the fact that 3 out of the 4 the vendors I contacted asked me if I wanted to opt for K glass. As far as I know K glass has to be the only option in view of the new building regulations. Apparently, there are still plenty of retailers trying to sell non K glass units. Does anyone know a foolproof way of identifying K-glass without shelling 60 quids of so for some specialized equipment?

Thank,

Alex.

Reply to
Alex

In article , Alex writes

You can see the coating, it has a slight grey/bluey sheen, especially when the sun shines on it. At least you can on mine.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

I phoned my local Pilkington outlet and the Sales Rep came along and tested every window with a K-Detector ... I wanted to make sure that the units were all in the right way around.

The detector is about the size of a packet of cigarettes .. lay it on the glass press button .. beeps if OK.

It works (so he told me) by detecting the magnetic field it puts across the metal film (K layer)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Do the "match test". Look at a flame through the unit, you will see two images. Both same colour = 'normal' glass One darker than the other = Coated. Rough and ready but accurate enough.

Reply to
Ziggur

As it happens I bought a cheapo buried cable detector yesterday and that does the job. It detects the film from the inside- not from the outside. Also tried it on one of the 15 year old units - no response at all. Nick.

Reply to
Roy

I discovered this afternoon that the Zircon Triscanner Pro (the official uk.d-i-y recommended joist and pipe finder) works too. Use stud deepscan mode and 'calibrate' (i.e. switch on) on known plain glass, or the outer pane of the DG unit. The coated inner pane then gives a very positive indication (green LEDs on) on kappafloat glass. Metal scan mode also works, but gives a much weaker indication - only the outer pair of red LEDs.

It would be interesting if someone else with a Triscanner could try this and report their findings.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Magnetic field? Right now then... I decided to use one of those cheap 'through the wall' detectors bought for £4 at Aldi stores and it does a fine job.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Alex.

Reply to
Alex

That is right it's supposed to be on the 3rd face from the fornt .. i,e, inside face of the inner pane.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes