Just seen another horror story

Page 3 of 4
writes:
d> The Scottish system can be improved very simply by shooting all the d> estate agents.
There are relatively few estate agents in Scotland, so hardly any fun is to be gained by shooting them.
d> Given that we all know that estate egents are scum, you simply cannot d> believe anything they tell you about a property you want to buy.
Which is why you should have a solicitor on your side. Solicitors may be in some ways as dodgy as estate agents, but at least they gain or lose reputation by how well they act _for_ you.
--
Mail me as snipped-for-privacy@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_
|<
On 7 Aug 2003 03:50:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

Not according to the Terms and Agreements blurbs I've been studying! They want a deposit to reserve a property, and then a short time later they want the dosh, period!
MM
On 7 Aug 2003 03:50:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

No. The only reason is to reduce hassledom by removing some of the typical pitfalls associated with buying a property with people already living in it.
MM
On 7 Aug 2003 03:50:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

"Old" slate rooves, sure! This was a new build, though. We didn't get to find out how much it cost to fix the problems, as the builder would not be interviewed, then later the programme presenters said that the owners had negotiated a confidential agreement with the builder. However, the estate agent who also appeared on the programme said at one point that the house was unsaleable in its present condition and the owners might be forced to put it up for auction, thus losing roughly half the value.
In any case, this is not the ONLY new property that has "featured" on programmes like that one. I believe it was the BBC which reviewed new builds last year, where there were major cracks in walls in one property, weak crumbly mortar in another, and problems which I cannot recall now in a third.
MM

...plumbing installed so wrongly that the houses had hot water continuously pouring out of their loft tank overflows.
--
Andrew Gabriel

"Frisket" wrote | "Andrew Gabriel" wrote | > ...plumbing installed so wrongly that the houses had hot water | > continuously pouring out of their loft tank overflows. | LOL, attended a snagging call a few months ago and the proud owner showed me | the new "hot flush" toilet - minor snag, easily put right by the plumber but | brought tears to the eyes at the thought of someone flushing while occupying | the seat ;-)
That would be the new Luxury Combi Toilet Bidet, Sir, exclusive to the Heritage Widdecombe 4-bedroom Detached Executive.
I heard of someone who found the screw-on washing machine connector in their new house had been screwed-on to the wrong pipe. They had plumbing for a Hot and Gas fill washer.
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@ssrl.org.uk (Sam Nelson) wrote in message

Clever. It's the width needed for two passing (overtaking?) wheelie bins, without grazing your knuckles on the wire-cut bricks.
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com (impvan) writes:

I strongly suspected that was the critical measurement myself, yes.
--
SAm.

on
my
so
A site manger will only allow an independent surveyor on site by appointment and accompanied by him or his assistant. They will sign nothing. Any problems should be sent to the BCO and copied to the site manager and the conveyancing solicitor. dealing directly with the site manager to get thing right before the next stage of build is usually futile. The BCO has power.

On 7 Aug 2003 12:44:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@tridwr.demon.co.uk (Martin Angove) wrote:

No worries about spelling! I'm grateful for the feedback I'm getting. Another nail in the coffin for new build. The builders should all be ****ing ashamed of themselves.
MM
In an infinite number of Mike Mitchells, in an attempt to produce the entire works of Shakespeare, typed:

Hi Mike, Sorry to offer no real advice but sometimes it can be the luck of the draw. Previously had a Barratt house (nightmare) and decided to move to a nice big Bryant one. Virtually everyone on the estate has had very few snags but we're having a nightmare. Ho hum. If you enjoy having a shower tray filled with effluent then you may enjoy the house buying adventure :-(
Keith

Ah, now we're getting down to the nitty-gritty! Any others? But to at least try to wave the old flag for British workmanship, what about ones where you could say: "Recommended!"
MM

None are good, it is the best of a bad bunch.

Mike Mitchell wrote:

Of course it is!

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com
"Mike Mitchell" wrote | Surely it must be possible to avoid jerry building | in 2003/4?
Of course.
Don't use British builders.
The level of training, qualification and basic intelligence of most labourers on British building sites is abysmal. And on spec developments many labourers will be contracted to a labour hire contractor and not even working directly for the main contractor.
Get a German pre-fab and make sure it's installed by German labour.
Owain

Huf Haus, but not cheap.

"Mike Mitchell" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | >In one of the, I think, Grand Design series, the Huf Haus was the only | >one completed on time, budget and spec. | I don't think I'll be able to afford one of those. I'd have a budget | of around 150K. Any other ideas?
Is there a German equivalent of a trailer home? Or an A-frame log cabin?
| (By the way, I've scanned the German | property web sites, and I'd easily be able to afford a new house in | Germany! Getting a bit long in the tooth to move back there, though.)
Ah, but German beer in your old age :-)
Owain
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:53:35 +0100, "Owain"
You know, I had thought EXACTLY the same myself! Having lived in Germany for many years and observed the self-builds that go on over there as a matter of course I was always struck by the very high quality of the finished properties. My late sister's property, like most modern German houses, has a basement almost the full size of the ground floor. The house has cast concrete subfloors, copper guttering, *timber*-framed windows instead of horrid PVC ones, underfloor heating, a huge plot, and so on. The gas boiler looks like something out of Starship Enterprise - freestanding and massive.
If only I knew *how* to go about getting a German pre-fab built over here! Maybe I should start investigating...
Thanks for your tip, Owain!
MM
"Andrew McKay" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | >The level of training, qualification and basic intelligence of most | >labourers on British building sites is abysmal. And on spec developments | >many labourers will be contracted to a labour hire contractor and not even | >working directly for the main contractor. | Part of the problem has been Gordon Browns attack on the building | trade. You can't work on a building site these days without having | some certification or other, which basically forces the workman to pay | tax at the appropriate rate on all earnings.
This may sound rather reactionary, but I blame the totally inadequate investment in vocational training 16+ combined with the fad for all and sundry to go to university for four years getting their BA Sociology With Macrame before working as a Human Resources Manager in a call centre.
In "the good old days" (which I don't remember) those who failed the 11+ were sent to a secondary modern and taught Useful Things before being put into apprenticeships. Now, nobody wants to do anything which sounds like hard work.
Owain
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:58:49 +0100, "Owain"

I failed the 11 plus, and duly went to a secondary modern. I came out with 4 O levels.
When I was at primary school one of my classmates was very intelligent, always at the top of the class. He went on to grammar school.
I met him the year after we left. He came out of grammar school with 2 O levels. And yet he was far more intelligent than me in every respect.
Andrew