Just replaced my boiler

Because I've built an extension and the old boiler wasn't big enough.

Reply to
PJ

There isn't any confusion. I have a condensing combi. Condensing is just the type.

I also still have stored hot water as I have retained my hot water cylinder and have it heated by both the central heating and immersion heater. I use the cylinder water for power showers.

Reply to
PJ

Agreed which is why my combi feeds HW to all the taps and the baths and my cylinder provides HW for power showers.

Reply to
PJ

Nice boiler! I used the 30HE because I wanted the RF controled room stat and programmer to avoid wiring.

Reply to
PJ

Problem is that there is a very big difference between a "proper working shower" and a "proper shower". You just cannot (esp. in winter) expect high pressure HW from a combi. For a proper high pressure shower you need either a high pressure HW system or a pump.

Reply to
PJ

FOUR teenage daughters? Any pictures?

Reply to
PJ

I am considering an Alpha CB50 and a Powermax. Both deliver fast bath fills and will do an average house with no problems. I have seen Worcester Bosch Highflows in action and they are very impressive.

In an IMM v the rest of the group confrontation in heating and water systems I would always take him very seriously. He clearly knows his stuff. I have taken his advise in the past to great success in performance and economy by using a combi for the mains pressure shower only, and a low pressure combination cylinder for the rest of the hot taps which eliminated a large space consuming cold storage tank. I never even knew what an Alpha CB50 or Powermax was until I read his posts. I always follow up buy contacting the makers. The two levels of flow rate of the Alpha CB50 I find very appealing. The only problem is that it is not a condensing model, while the Poweremax is.

..........and the slowly corroding cylinder and tanks as well.

bye for now

Reply to
timegoesby

Most storage tanks will be plastic if fitted in the last 30 years or so. Nor is there any reason for a copper cylinder to corrode - anymore than the pipes feeding it. If you buy a quality make.

But both will have a life far in excess of your favourite combi - and cost less to replace when and if they need it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

because they are great for DIYers.

Reply to
IMM

Soot forms on the heat exchanger which is then baked on in time. This acts as insulation around the heat exchanger reducing efficiency.

The burner was probably way out and burning inefficiently. Then there is the safety aspects of a boiler too; the most important.

Reply to
IMM

exceptionally

Reliability has nothing to do with being cast iron.

Reply to
IMM

conventional

The combi gives mains pressure showers, so the pump is unnecessary.

Reply to
IMM

Sounds like the system that Jack built.

Reply to
IMM

Total and utter nonsense! Unless you are going high pressure drencher shower. Which require a "very" large cylinder for the hot water.

Reply to
IMM

In that case you are bordering on a small commercial system. Domestic systems are "bursty" in their water usage, that is what combi's score well. Commercial systems tend to also be bursty, but with loger bursts. Some. like small hotels are drawing hot water for about 90% of 16 hours in a day. In those cases it is best to have an instant water heater for the kitchen, which requires not great flowrates, but constant hot water for much of the day, and stored water for the bedrooms.

Reply to
IMM

Sounds like you should have fitted an auto two stage flowrate Alpha CB50.

Reply to
IMM

Not 100%, but moving away from heavy CI to a low capacity heat exchanger introduces the need for limit stats, pump run ons, fans and all the other stuff that goes wrong.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 15:02:59 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

I have this morbid curiosity, why?

Reply to
Lurch

Lets hope you have the same luck with the combi..! Change the 900 to 670 in the return email address to reply

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

At very reasonable price with todays boiler technology and insulation. Of course it depends how you fefine and measure efficiency Change the 900 to 670 in the return email address to reply

Reply to
tarquinlinbin