Just passing by IdealWorld tv

and came across a "ceramic" panel heater.

The 2kw one was a bargain at £1000, taking into account the free wireless control box supplied.

Calor???? or some such make.

Have these people gone completely into the Twilight Zone or have I missed some vital point of new technology?

It looked like a fairly standard wall panel heater.

Made the £14 blower fires at B&Q look enticing.

Reply to
ericp

Actually £1,005.93 for two, but still!

Reply to
Andy Burns

You forgot to mention that they also look pretty ugly ! I think if I had a choice between these heaters and putting another jumper on I'd go with the latter

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Aye, and there are people who'll buy the things.

Reply to
The Wanderer

In message , Andy Burns writes

But they do have a ceramic hart

wozzat then, a model of a deer stuck to the top ?

Reply to
geoff

Bargain, they're =A3574.99 each in Argos and you have to buy 3 to get the programmer.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Crikey, you're serious too, just checked! Just what is it about these electric radiators that could possibly justify the price?

Reply to
Simon C.

According to the Argos cat it gives you all the advantages of central heating at half the price of having a gas boiler and rads put in.

Obviously plugging two or three (or more) of these into an already overloaded whole-house ring is perfectly sensible.

Personally I prefer a nice bowl fire to warm the tootsies whilst listening to the radio-gram.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

An outrageous scam on the naive or elderly.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Their claims see dubious at best:

# Heats when, where and how you want (heats a room not a house)

as would any plug in heater at a tenth the price

# Central heating without pipes or boiler

Central implies a central heat source - these don't have one - so false.

# Easy to use ? just plug in and heat!

I will give them that.

# Easy to install # Low installation costs (save up to 100%)

We seem to be repeating the last point a few more times.

# No maintenance # No chimney, no noise, no dust, no odour

fair enough

# Economical, comfortable and easy to use - unique concept

Hmm, how do they figure that? Compared to gas, no, compared to economy

7/10 storage heating, no. Plug in heaters a unique concept? I expect finding evidence to refute that would be hard.

# Comfortable warmth distribution

Only heating one room, with no circulation fan... better than any other static convector how exactly?

# Output 100% (save up to 40% on your heating bill)

Ewww 100% go with that, save 40%, I would like to see the justification for that.

# Safety: no combustion, no oxygen usage, no frozen pipes, no fumes, no deflagration danger

Clutching at straws - what are they comparing it to?

# Gentle warmth - even thermo spread (no cold or hot zones)

Repeat of previous point

# Perfect regulation of temperature (0,10°C precise)

But there is only one stat for two heaters in different rooms. How is that going to work.

# Programmable with a radio frequency program unit PROGRAMATEX

Sounds high tech - or like any prog stat, take your pick!

# Functions as central heating (individual or modular in use)

or not.

# Ideal product for refurbishing and conservatories

Why?

# 2 years guarantee on the electric components

Coo eee

# 10 years guarantee on the radiator and the radiator c

Is the core not part of the rad? Is that not an electrical component?

Sounds like ASA complaint fodder....

Reply to
John Rumm

And protect you from deflagration.

You can also "save up to 100% of installation costs" when you don't install it.

It also has "Output 100% (save up to 40% on your heating bill)"

Reply to
Peter Parry

No one has written a review yet John :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Steve Walker" saying something like:

Seems to have gone, now.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon