Just having a ponder...

WE can be certain it will be full of gravy train riding incompetents and representatives of narrow lobby interests, and no representatives of the people, because there is no mechanism for the people to affect it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why would it have to? It'll change along with the world - both in response to external changes, and proactively in helping to shape them.

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry. I was referring to when this was a decent DIY group. Before cretins like you got involved with it and ruined it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He's not an economist.

Might help if you watched the video before commenting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You apparently have a very short memory or more likely rose tinted specs. Or just wish to go back to when you were young.

Can't be bothered with your whole list but it's generally accepted that the Japanese cars industry killed off the UK one, by offering better value and reliability. Same as with the UK motorcycle industry.

It's also generally accepted that UK industry at that time suffered from under investment. Its priority was decent returns to its shareholders. Unlike Germany, which invested for the future.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No you can't. But carry on with your fear tactics. They seem to be working with those who have barely a brain cell intact.

Which is entirely under the control of the UK government. Leaving the EU won't make them change direction on this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not terribly concerned about 2059 since I won't be around then.

But I am concerned about the near future. And not just for myself but for the majority. The very rich don't need my concern - they are always the last to suffer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I am bored but it can be distracting to throw a few spanners now and again, if the locals like fetching sticks carry on throwing them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 10:57:55 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Well don't be fooled by the Remainers saying that the UK would lose jobs, we have already lost thousands thanks to the EU:-

Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant. Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant. Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers pension funds. Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant. British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales. Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan. Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200. M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan. Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with EU grants. Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant. Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant. Indesit (washers and dryers) at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant. Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding. Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing. ICI integration into Holland's AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs. Boot's sold to the Italians - Stefano Pessina, who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase. JDS Uniphase (

) run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving

1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry. (and don't forget, these grants are all made with OUR money). UK airports are owned by a Spanish company. Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company. UK strategic oil pipelines (military airfields) are owned by a Spanish company. Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies. The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online. Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada. 39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK. The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too, as they have said recently. And so on, & so on.......... So IMO *anyone* who tells you that the EU is good for British industry (or any other UK business) & creates jobs, is lying through their teeth.
Reply to
Martin Barclay

So you don't have children, or grandchildren?

Reply to
DJC

If you want to project generations in time...

My father was in two WW both started in Europe.

I'm about the age he was when he died, and although born during WW2 don't remember it. And although there has been some conflict within Europe in my lifetime, nothing like on the same scale.

And nothing within the EU.

I'd like my children and grandchildren to be able to say the same.

And I'd not be foolish enough to predict how well an independant UK might do in 40 years time or whatever. And anyone who thinks they can is simply deluded.

But I'm pretty certain the short to medium term outlook for the economy will be bleak if we leave, as that's what has started to happen already with just the threat it might happen - and it's also the view of most of the economists around the world.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup. It's what worries me. The decision fuelled by hormones rather than reason.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And, of course, most of it still isn't.

The only bit which has been a member for longer than about five minutes took one look at the war brewing, and walked away from it all in about a week.

The bit which has recently joined is, for a very large part, a big beach full of naked leathery Germans.

Reply to
Adrian

Those experts are most likely the biggest lairs on the planet either that or they are only interested in their own careers.

yes sure it does. Our universities were much better before we joined the EU. In those days we trained the top few percent sp they could get the best jobs, now we train the top 70% which is basically worthless.

I don;t do facebook at work so will have to hold off until tonioght, will I managed to contain myself with excitment is the Q. ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Ooh. What a turn on!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But they seem to know how well we'll do if we remain in the EU a block of contries putting tarriffs up and currently has less growth than those outside the EU isn;t that it.

Same with Apple share doesn't matter what happens they tend to go down before going back up.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Naked, fat, ancient, leathery Germans.

Reply to
Adrian

Certainly doesn't get mine.

Reply to
Adrian

Right. I'll take your word for it since you work in one. So now explain just how it is the EU's fault? Or indeed anything at all to do with them?

I do like all these posts about how good it was before we joined the EU. And wanting to go back to those days. Before the internet...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)